Racism in football: institutionalised and ignored Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Football's legacy has all been tainted by the hate, prejudice and ignorance we have witnessed in the few weeks of the Premier League.

I myself attended the North London Derby. As an avid Arsenal fan, after a 4-2 win against Tottenham, I was in unbelievably high spirits at the end of the match. However, my mood was stumped when my phone began to flood with Instagram posts that showed photographs of a Tottenham fan throwing a banana skin at Arsenal forward Aubameyang.

Expecting front-page reports on the incident, it seemed to be almost swept under the rug.

Less than a week later, videos began to emerge online of Manchester City forward Raheem Sterling receiving a battery of insults and racial abuse from Chelsea fans at Stamford Bridge.

Kick It Out, football’s equality and inclusion organisation, have revealed an increase in reports of discriminatory abuse for the sixth consecutive year, with racism the most common form of hate speech reported. In 2017/2018 over 214 incidents of hate speech were reported in the professional game, along with 201 incidents on social media and 105 incidents in grassroots football. Racism constituted 53 % of them during the 2017/18 season, a rise of 22 % from the previous year.

It is clear that the events of the past few weeks are not simply isolated incidences, but rather represent an institutionalised attitude and disregard towards racism that still exists within football.

Sterling himself called out newspapers and the media this week on Instagram, for helping 'fuel racism and aggressive behaviour'. Not enough action is being taken by the FA, not enough action is being taken by Chairmen and not enough action is being taken by the media to tackle racism in football.

There is no place for racism in football, there is no place for racism anywhere. What we must learn from the past weeks is that more action has to be taken from above and that the FA, the media and the fans must all work together to eradicate abuse in what is otherwise a beautiful game.

https://epigram.org.uk//2018/12/17/racism-in-football/
bj27
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Old article but well I think this is obvious to any ethnic minority.

Whenever son heung min comes on and off the field in a Tottenham game they show the Korean fans dancing and celebrating in a corner e.g.
F C Awditt
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Michael Huke a senior manager at Lloyds Bank HQ Bristol sent a TEXT to friends ‘Kompany and Fernandhino were Northern black *****’ the recipients found the TEXT disgraceful and reported it to Lloyds Bank who it would appear have done nothing about it? This racist TEXT is particularly abhorrent coming from a person in a position of trust who’s employers claim to be against racism. Aspects of the gentleman’s character have since found to be somewhat repugnant as can be seen on ‘Michael Huke Lloyds Banker’ and ‘Banker Behaving Badly’ on YouTube’.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (215)
19.3%
Labour (475)
42.64%
Liberal Democrats (212)
19.03%
Green Party (57)
5.12%
Brexit Party (30)
2.69%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.36%
SNP (16)
1.44%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.9%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.09%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.18%
SDLP (1)
0.09%
Ulster Unionist (3)