Icykitten
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in year 13 right now and I'm basically having a crisis about what degree I want to study between Chemistry or Biochemistry. The thing that is putting me off of chemistry at the moment is that I mostly enjoy organic chemistry rather than physical chemistry which I often struggle with. For example I love analytical chemistry, Isomerism, mechanisms, periodicity, etc, but I'm not a huge fan of thermodynamics, rates of reactions (basically anything that crosses over with physics) Are there any chemistry degrees that focus more on organic chemistry than physical chemistry? Or is it all about equal? Also I didn't do A-level maths, would I struggle with degree-level chemistry without it?
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 1 month ago
Sounds like biochemistry would be better for you. There will still be some physical chemsitry things to cover but no where near as much as with regular chemistry.

Have a look at this particular degree course modules

Also be aware that dispite the name its much more about biology than chemistry.
Icykitten
Rep:
?
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
Sounds like biochemistry would be better for you. There will still be some physical chemsitry things to cover but no where near as much as with regular chemistry.

Have a look at this particular degree course modules

Also be aware that dispite the name its much more about biology than chemistry.
I looked at the course, there are parts that interest me and parts that don’t, same for chemistry, if only I could find a perfect blend of the two... my main passion is biology but I don’t want to leave chemistry behind altogether, I really enjoy them both I just don’t know what to do...
Icykitten
Rep:
?
I’m also worried that biochemistry is a risk because of the career prospects, I feel Chemistry would be a better option for employability because of how many people do biochemistry degrees. I also went to an open day for a university where a researcher said he had done a chemistry degree and branched off into biochemistry from there, does this seem like a safer option?
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Icykitten)
I looked at the course, there are parts that interest me and parts that don’t, same for chemistry, if only I could find a perfect blend of the two... my main passion is biology but I don’t want to leave chemistry behind altogether, I really enjoy them both I just don’t know what to do...
You are highly unlikely to love 100% of any degree, everyone has their loved, liked, tolerated and despised areas of their degree

There are other flavours of biology/chemistry degrees: biological chemistry, chemistry with biology, medicinal chemistry etc.

The titles themselves are only mildly helpful, you need to look at the course breakdown for the details.
(Original post by Icykitten)
I’m also worried that biochemistry is a risk because of the career prospects, I feel Chemistry would be a better option for employability because of how many people do biochemistry degrees. I also went to an open day for a university where a researcher said he had done a chemistry degree and branched off into biochemistry from there, does this seem like a safer option?
Yeah, my advice is to keep things as general as possible for the degree - what you are interested will change over time. Something you love now (organic chemistry?) you might come to hate as you get deeper into it.

It's easier to move into biology with a chemistry background than vice versa. But if you only enjoy organic chemistry and a few other bits, that's only around a third of the course - depending where you go of course!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (46)
18.47%
Labour (103)
41.37%
Liberal Democrats (50)
20.08%
Green Party (15)
6.02%
Brexit Party (7)
2.81%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.61%
Plaid Cymru (5)
2.01%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)