Goldenparadise
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I'm applying for public sector job and they want references however my issue is that I've been working in financial services previously and they don't provide provide personal references only confirmation of the dates you worked at the firm. What should I do?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Goldenparadise)
So I'm applying for public sector job and they want references however my issue is that I've been working in financial services previously and they don't provide provide personal references only confirmation of the dates you worked at the firm. What should I do?
Pull together a list of potential referees, having asked them etc, that cover previous employers and colleagues (who will give personal references.

Then, if asked for references (because you should never offer details before they re requested) offer whatever they want. If the new employer comes back and says they want more, then it becomes a discussion, but you already have details of a few colleagues that might help.

This isn't a major issue, it happens all the time. References of a certain type cannot be forced out of previous employers, nor demanded from future employers. However, few new employers will reject their favoured candidate (because that's the only person they take references for) on the basis of the style of the reference.
Goldenparadise
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Pull together a list of potential referees, having asked them etc, that cover previous employers and colleagues (who will give personal references.

Then, if asked for references (because you should never offer details before they re requested) offer whatever they want. If the new employer comes back and says they want more, then it becomes a discussion, but you already have details of a few colleagues that might help.

This isn't a major issue, it happens all the time. References of a certain type cannot be forced out of previous employers, nor demanded from future employers. However, few new employers will reject their favoured candidate (because that's the only person they take references for) on the basis of the style of the reference.
Thanks for this. I have provided two reference university lecturer and a former colleague. I also stated to only contact after a job offer has been extended.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (8)
20.51%
No one else does (15)
38.46%
I'm embarrassed about my background (3)
7.69%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (11)
28.21%
We don't use a video platform (1)
2.56%
I don't have a camera (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
2.56%

Watched Threads