Thanoswashere
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If two light nuclei join together to form a “heavier” nucleus, then how is the mass of the nucleus less. I know the mass is less because of some of it being converted to energy but wouldn’t that mean it becomes “lighter” instead? Because weight is influenced by mass. What does it mean by the nucleus becoming “heavier”?? I sound kinda dumb asking this.
Em.-.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mass is converted to energy yes. But heavier just means that it is overall heavier than one if the nuclei on its own
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Thanoswashere)
If two light nuclei join together to form a “heavier” nucleus, then how is the mass of the nucleus less. I know the mass is less because of some of it being converted to energy but wouldn’t that mean it becomes “lighter” instead? Because weight is influenced by mass. What does it mean by the nucleus becoming “heavier”?? I sound kinda dumb asking this.
Simplified example and probably not the right numbers, but essentially nuclei of masses 2 and 3 fuse to make one of mass 1 and one of mass 3.99. The 0.01 left over is cinverted to energy.
Thanoswashere
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emiluu)
Mass is converted to energy yes. But heavier just means that it is overall heavier than one if the nuclei on its own
Ok I think I understand now. Thank you so much for your help!
Em.-.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Thanoswashere)
Ok I think I understand now. Thank you so much for your help!
Best to put it this way: light nuclei + light nuclei = heavier nuclei + energy
Thanoswashere
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dysf(x)al)
Simplified example and probably not the right numbers, but essentially nuclei of masses 2 and 3 fuse to make one of mass 1 and one of mass 3.99. The 0.01 left over is cinverted to energy.
Thank you so much for explaining that. I find that the CGP explanations for my physics are too simple for what appears in the test
Thanoswashere
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emiluu)
Best to put it this way: light nuclei + light nuclei = heavier nuclei + energy
Ok I’ll remember that for revision. Thank you 🙏🏼
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads