Poll: Should this Bill be made into Law?
As many as are of the opinion,aye. (31)
77.5%
On the Contrary, Nay. (7)
17.5%
Abstain. (2)
5%
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
V1516 – Car Park Safety Bill 2019; TSR Government

Car Park Safety Bill 2019

An Act to implement further safety in the infrastructure of car parks.
[field defaultattr=]
BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Definitions
(1) 'Car Park' is defined as a construction with purpose of holding vehicles, where entry is found leading from a public road.
(2) 'Sprinkler System' is defined as a fire protection system which uses a water supply.
(3) 'Bus Garage' is defined as a structure that covers buses when they are not operational.

2. Regulation to Car Parks
(1) The secretary of state must produce guidance for the safe building of car parks which are greater than one storey tall.
(a) This must include provision to limit the spread of fire through the structure.
(b) This guidance must be reviewed every 5 years.
(2) Car Park owners will be responsible for the safety of all vehicles which are stored within car parks they own.
(a) In the event of damage to a vehicle at a time when it is stored in a car park, the owners are liable for the cost of repair or replacement of these vehicles if the car park does not comply to the guidance provided by the government.
(3) Additional funding will be made available for car parks owned by local authorities, the NHS or other governmental agencies if required.
(a) This will be arranged between the relevant body and the Secretary of State on an individual basis.

3. Regulation to Bus Garages
(1) All bus garages which have yet to begin construction are required to include a sprinkler system.
(b) This includes any existing and approved proposals for the construction of a bus garage where building has not yet begun.
(2) Bus Garages which are built, or are under construction at the time of royal assent must convert to using a sprinkler system before 1st January 2025.
(a) A bursary of £5 000 will be made available for bus depots owned by companies earning fewer than £2 million in annual revenue at the time of applying for the bursary.

4. Exceptions
(1) The Secretary of State reserves the right to allow the construction of a new car park without a sprinkler system.
(2) Existing bus garages at the time of royal assent which can prove the obligations outlined in section 4 have been fulfilled completely, will not be required to install a new Sprinkler System.
(3) Car Parks which are not on more than one storey are not required to have a Sprinkler System.
(4) If a Car Park has status of a Grade II listed construction (or above), and can demonstrate that the adaption of the structure would affect that listed status then the Car Park may be regarded as exempt from this bill.

5. Commencement, Short Title and Extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the Car Park Safety Act 2019.
(2) This bill shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
(3) Shall come into force immediately.

Notes
The 2017 New Year's Eve car park fire in Liverpool triggered questions about the safety of car parks and how well equipped the infrastructure is to deal with serious fires. This bill does nothing to prevent fires from occurring, but it goes a considerable way to prevent blazes from spreading through car parks and thus protect the vehicles of others. If one car catches fire in a multistorey car park where vehicles are parked very close together and most contain very flammable substances (fuel) the consequences may be disastrous, as shown in the article below.

Sprinklers, which activate on detection of smoke or intense heat would vastly reduce the spread of fire and the government sees no reason for the safety of car parks not to be improved.

This Bill does 3 things
- It requires new car parks to be built with a sprinkler system installed.
- It requires existing car parks to install sprinkler systems if they don't already have them and gives them 10 years to do so, and some funding for any owner who might struggle to afford it. These two details may be amended before division if required.
- It gives flexibility to the Secretary of State for special cases by allowing exemptions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-46290095

Changes for second readying:
- Storey is now spelt correctly.
- Multi storey car parks which are listed may be exempted
- The bill no longer requires car parks to have a sprinkler system but instead enforces the liability of owners if the car park does not have provision for the spread of fire to government standards.
- The government thank MPs who provided feedback which led to these changes
Advertisement
username2998742
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:yy:
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye

Wifi on the tube works!
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Alternatively: a bill to remove the majority of parking capacity in cities.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye, sounds good.
Advertisement
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Alternatively: a bill to remove the majority of parking capacity in cities.
I don't see how this removes any parking capacity at all. Car park owners are perfectly welcome to ignore the guidance issued, at their own risk.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mr Speaker I appear to be having an issue in voting in the poll. Could I postal vote an aye please?

Andrew97
Advertisement
Andrew97
Rep:
?
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Mr Speaker I appear to be having an issue in voting in the poll. Could I postal vote an aye please?

Andrew97
Yep. Please PM me this however. (I would say copy in the DS but that would be a tad pointless)
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Yep. Please PM me this however. (I would say copy in the DS but that would be a tad pointless)
Agreed and will do.
Advertisement
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It now appears that the attempted vote by myself and another person who sent in a postal vote is now logged in the poll. How odd....
Iñigo de Loyola
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for adding these changes in; I shall vote Aye.
Advertisement
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Order, Order!

The Ayes to right: 31
The Noes to the left: 7
Abstain: 2

So the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads