Is the University of Warwick good for English?

Watch this thread
Rachelpierton
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of going on to do an MA English Literature next year and was considering the University of Warwick, mostly for reputation and closeness to my home. I did think it was a really good university for English, but looking at recent subject tables it seems to be fairly low down. I was also considering the University of York as its close to my other home (my parents are separated one lives Birmingham and one in Leeds). My perception was Warwick was more prestigious than York. But it looks like that may have been true in the past, but it has slipped for English in recent years? Or are league tables complete rubbish? Arghh. I noticed the entry requirements are higher for Warwick then York.

What are other peoples' preceptions? I like the courses at both, but had really been leaning to Warwick but now I'm confused 🤷*♀️.

Any help would be appreciated 🙂
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Rankings are completely arbitrary. That said, Warwick is generally known to focus its academic research towards science and business fields. However, that doesn't mean that its quality for English would be low; it just means that it's perhaps more known for other things. If you like the look of the course and the location etc, then I think you should definitely go for Warwick. It's definitely very impressive to have on a CV since it's so prestigious. :rambo:
Kocytean
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Academically, English at Warwick and York seem to be very close, although QS has always ranked Warwick higher (first in the UK in 2014 - that was 16th in the world, currently 20th).

I wouldn't worry too much about the newspaper rankings. Even when they disclose their methodology, questionable metrics like student satisfaction / "value added" / green rating add a lot of noise.

You may as well like to consider the lifestyle difference between campuses - the University of Warwick is kind of its own town out in the middle of nowhere, whereas York is pretty much attached to the city.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
27.78%
As I expected (73)
31.2%
Harder (88)
37.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.42%

Watched Threads