The Student Room Group

Am i aiming too high? (university choices/extenuating circumstances)

Please be as honest as needed.

GCSE’S 4A 3B 3C 1D

AS GRADES 2017 DEU (Maths, Chemistry, Physics)

*I retook year 12*

A LEVEL year 1 ABB (Maths, Physics, Economics)

A LEVEL GRADES 2019 CCD (Maths, Economics, Physics)

As you can probably already tell, a pretty messy journey so far.

I’m currently on a gap year working towards resitting Maths and Physics with my original predictions of A*A but have chosen to leave Economics at a C.

I’m eligible for contextual offers and hope to apply to Bristol/Warwick/Sheffield/Nottingham/Loughborough for Mechanical Engineering.

A little background: I’ve decided to submit extenuating circumstances forms alongside the unis I’ll be applying to for a few reasons relating to home life situations and (slight trigger ahead)

Spoiler

I never felt the need to mention this to anybody until bad sleep/panic attacks/anxiety came honestly out of nowhere and for obvious reasons I decided to keep this quiet and never expected it to affect me academically.

I sought help from my GP around April I think, was put on a few waiting lists and have been receiving a few therapy sessions since.

I hate the idea of even writing about this as an extenuating circumstance because it’s extremely personal and I just don’t know if there’s a point.

Throughout the 2 years I was getting minimum B grades but I just couldn’t cut it in the end.

Should I send the extenuating circumstances forms? I feel like if anything they’re more likely to work against me. Am I aiming too high? Should I apply for lower ranking unis? At this point I just need to prove to myself i'm capable of getting past this hurdle, get into a uni away from home having good job prospects and moving on with life.

My College tutor is willing to write me a reference and he knows me pretty well and can attest to my progress and overall positive attitude towards education etc.
I feel as though this year I could really get things right. This could be my year. I could meet my academic potential/gain industry experience/work and save money etc. Apologies if this post is a little messy, my mind's a little messy right now.
Original post by Anonymous

I suspect you'd be better of with a couple of choices at lower grades than those 5. Or alternatively, stick with those 5, but be prepared to get nothing and look at engineering apprenticeships as an alternative.

The problem you have with extenuating circumstances is that they only really work in situations of crisis, or demonstrable change. In other words, if you have been working to say AAA standard all the way through years 12 and 13, and the week before A levels you are involved in a car crash and get AAB, then extenuating circumstances might mean you get your place, because you are basically an AAA student who had a bad day. Or if you had extenuating circumstances for GCSEs or AS levels, but then the problem resolved and you are predicted AAA then mitigation can come into play.

The problem you have is that your mitigation seems to be a valid reason why you underperform, but no evidence that your circumstances at uni will be different and that you will both start university with the right foundation of knowledge and be able to keep up with the pace. Mitigation isn't a free pass to an offer without evidence you will start uni in the right place educationally.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
I suspect you'd be better of with a couple of choices at lower grades than those 5. Or alternatively, stick with those 5, but be prepared to get nothing and look at engineering apprenticeships as an alternative.

The problem you have with extenuating circumstances is that they only really work in situations of crisis, or demonstrable change. In other words, if you have been working to say AAA standard all the way through years 12 and 13, and the week before A levels you are involved in a car crash and get AAB, then extenuating circumstances might mean you get your place, because you are basically an AAA student who had a bad day. Or if you had extenuating circumstances for GCSEs or AS levels, but then the problem resolved and you are predicted AAA then mitigation can come into play.

The problem you have is that your mitigation seems to be a valid reason why you underperform, but no evidence that your circumstances at uni will be different and that you will both start university with the right foundation of knowledge and be able to keep up with the pace. Mitigation isn't a free pass to an offer without evidence you will start uni in the right place educationally.

Thank you for the response, I can understand what you mean.

I'll be changing 3 of my choices to different universities I have in mind, do you think i'll be better off just not sending in the extenuating circumstances forms?
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for the response, I can understand what you mean.

I'll be changing 3 of my choices to different universities I have in mind, do you think i'll be better off just not sending in the extenuating circumstances forms?

No, send the forms off, just sometimes on TSR you see people say 'they took no notice, my offer is just as high', or even 'they took no notice, I didn't get an offer'. I'm just pointing out that mitigating circumstances aren't a free pass, so choosing all 5 top end Unis probably isn't so wise.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
No, send the forms off, just sometimes on TSR you see people say 'they took no notice, my offer is just as high', or even 'they took no notice, I didn't get an offer'. I'm just pointing out that mitigating circumstances aren't a free pass, so choosing all 5 top end Unis probably isn't so wise.

Yep I’ve seen that happen too, thanks
I would also recommend having at least one lower entry requirement option. If you don't get any offers then clearing may also be an option, but I don't think that opens until around next August, and universities that were in clearing previously may not be in future.
Re, Extenuating Circumstances - each Uni treats this differently, but if you have managed to resit two A levels, they will expect you to have retaken all three. You will have to give a really good reason why this was not possible.
Pleading 'ECs' is only really useful where, for instance, you have a weak GCSE profile for a definite reason and are now on A levels,unable to resit all your GCSEs. Or, where you have started your A levels but a serious issue will prevent you achieving your predictions. Bristol's process for informing them of ECs here - you need to send the fully completed form to the Uni at the same time as you apply through UCAS : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/after-you-apply/your-application/extenuating-circumstances/

Also useful - How to Avoid 5 Rejections - and especially the bit about spreading your choices across different grade requirements to make sure you have an Insurance choice :https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
(edited 4 years ago)
It's better to try and fail, than don't try at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending