The Student Room Group

Who is benching about 75/80kg here?

Scroll to see replies

FluxC
You don't lift with bones though.

No, you lift with your arms - especially in a big compound movement like benching. Bones add mass to your arms as well as muscle. More mass = greater lifts. It's common sense that the bigger your frame the better built you are for lifting.
Reply 21
You don't lift with mass though.
FluxC
Bone contracts and moves?

People with high bench numbers: You are benching properly right? My friend says he can bench 100kg, but he doesn't even bring it to his chest.

noone really has high bench numbers in this thread, considering the thread "how much can you bench" - loads of people were over a 100

and im benching right
Reply 23
3thr3e
Can bench 95-100kg 4 times.

dont reli do 1 arm dumbells but i used to do 30 reps of 17kg on my right arm. (bicep curls)

Can do 7 reps of 45kg bicep curl (using the long type dumbell, i dont know the name lol), more of a bar.

er...barbell
Reply 24
Peter North
lol

so how much are you curling lara c? :wink:

i lift for size not strength. so i wont answer cause a) it doesnt matter and b) youd be jealous anyways :p:
Reply 25
Tyler Durden
More mass = greater lifts. It's common sense that the bigger your frame the better built you are for lifting.

so your saying a fat person is just as strong as a muscular person? :rolleyes:
Reply 26
One day, one day...

Bench: about 40ish
BB curls: 20kgs
Skull crushers: 12's

:s-smilie:
Reply 27
Bench: 50 for 3 x 6
BB Curls: 25/27.5 (barbell) 3 x 8
Skull crushers .. only just started doing these. Think I have 10 kilos plus the weight of the ez bar.
Lara C.
so your saying a fat person is just as strong as a muscular person? :rolleyes:

No...i never mentioned a 'fat person'. I mentioned 'mass' in the context of ones skeletal structure.
Reply 29
Tyler Durden
No...i never mentioned a 'fat person'. I mentioned 'mass' in the context of ones skeletal structure.

your skeletal structure does not lift the weight for you. the entire force is created by the muscles.
Reply 30
Makaveli_The_Don
I can bench 50kg

and 15kg for BB curl

so not on your levels yet lol

This is about where I'm at, but my gym at home sucks a fat one so I have to do upright chest press instead of benches and I have to use a resistance machine for any dumbell curl above 10kg -_-
Reply 31
Lara C.
your skeletal structure does not lift the weight for you. the entire force is created by the muscles.

More body mass = greater exertion required to move = stronger muscles. So yes, a large person would be naturally stronger than a small person. I'd have thought that's obvious.
Planto
More body mass = greater exertion required to move = stronger muscles. So yes, a large person would be naturally stronger than a small person. I'd have thought that's obvious.

Indeed :smile:
Reply 33
Planto

the argument is that if you have more bone mass you are therefore stronger. which is wrong.

you could have as much mass as you want, that doesnt mean your muscles will be stronger.

muscles are to do with strength, not bone. and size does not equal stronger muscles.
Lara C.
the argument is that if you have more bone mass you are therefore stronger. which is wrong.

you could have as much mass as you want, that doesnt mean your muscles will be stronger.

muscles are to do with strength, not bone. and size does not equal stronger muscles.

It's not wrong, and neither is the other poster who you quoted. If they have bigger bones, they have MORE MASS, which aids in the lifting process. I'm stating now that if someone had bigger bones than me and weighed the same and had been lifting for as long, and as hard - they would lift more. Big frames = big lifts.
Reply 35
I can't even imagine 24kg in one hand lol sounds crazy one day maybe
Reply 36
lol @ all the ******** e-stats in here.

Also LOL @ the crap about mass = strength. Your bone size has nothing to do with lifting. It is your bone density which helps somewhat, which has nothing to do with size.
Reply 37
Tyler Durden
It's not wrong, and neither is the other poster who you quoted. If they have bigger bones, they have MORE MASS, which aids in the lifting process. I'm stating now that if someone had bigger bones than me and weighed the same and had been lifting for as long, and as hard - they would lift more. Big frames = big lifts.

I still can't get my head round this =/

I mean, if your bones had a higher mass than someone else, of say X, then you'd be lifting 50kg + X, but you'd still be lifting 50.
you'd be lifting more mass because of the weight of your bones, but still the same amount on the barbell, surely?
So you ARE lifting more, but its not visibly different,
Does that make sense? :s-smilie:
Reply 38
Tyler Durden

how does more mass aid in the lifting process? the only thing more bone mass is going to do is put more strain on the muscles, which will mean you actually lift less.

all the power comes from the muscles. nowhere else.
I think muscles are attached to bones, and the bigger bones are the bigger muscles can attach to them. I also think that force output of a muscle can be limited by its cross sectional area, which means that bigger muscles are more useful.

Quick Reply

Latest