Who is benching about 75/80kg here?

Watch
Sithius
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lara C.)
when your muscles become so big that the size of your bones attaching to them becomes a limitation then you will have to be so incredibly humongous it could never happen.
He's right.

It is bone density not size. I have been lol'ing at the ignorance in this thread.
Tyler Durden
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Sithius)
He's right.

It is bone density not size. I have been lol'ing at the ignorance in this thread.
So, you too believe bone density can help in lifting heavier weights?
Herr Stamper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Tyler Durden)
You are stacked mate!
Well kinda, that pic was taken well over a year ago so i should hope im bigger then that. Don't really care anymore tbh made the switch to powerlifting. Only about 88-90kg now, have been as heavy as 94kg but i've lost a bit off my stomach since coming home which is nice. Maintaining 90kg for now.
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
(Original post by Herr Stamper)
Well kinda, that pic was taken well over a year ago so i should hope im bigger then that. Don't really care anymore tbh made the switch to powerlifting. Only about 88-90kg now, have been as heavy as 94kg but i've lost a bit off my stomach since coming home which is nice. Maintaining 90kg for now.
lol, I'm 80kg. I only ever really want to lift 100kg (bench) to be honest. You don't want to hear this, but i would ideally like the build of Pitt in Fight club (yes, i know how many people must say that). Lean and muscular is basically my aim.
burningnun
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Apparently Greg Glassman trains Brad Pitt now, or so I hear on the ol' grapevine.
Lady Venom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Please keep on topic or you will find a fat padlock on this thread.
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lady Venom)
Please keep on topic or you will find a fat padlock on this thread.
Okay. So who else is near to the 75/80kg bench mark and, what are your aims?
Sithius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
So, you too believe bone density can help in lifting heavier weights?
Yes, which has nothing to do with bone size.
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
But Lara stated that mass due to bones would not help in weight lifting at all. Apparently, only muscles can ever help in lifting weights...which i don't believe.
curiouslyorange1989
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
tyler is your name off "the game" im sure i read it somewhere
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's off Fight Club.
Lara C.
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But Lara stated that mass due to bones would not help in weight lifting at all. Apparently, only muscles can ever help in lifting weights...which i don't believe.
how does bone mass help in lifting weight?
curiouslyorange1989
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
how does bone mass help in lifting weight?
would prob help you aquire more mass more quickly as your frame could handle, it prob wouldnt help the movemnt itself
Lara C.
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by curiouslyorange1989)
would prob help you aquire more mass more quickly as your frame could handle, it prob wouldnt help the movemnt itself
what im saying is this;

take a man, M, give him a bone structure of X then see how much he lifts.

then take the same man and give him a lighter bone structure of Y.

M + X will not be able to lift more than M + Y. it just doesnt make sense. if anything the extra weight will reduce his lift.
Bennyboy65
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol, I'm 80kg. I only ever really want to lift 100kg (bench) to be honest. You don't want to hear this, but i would ideally like the build of Pitt in Fight club (yes, i know how many people must say that). Lean and muscular is basically my aim.
Is it just me or is Brad Pitt's body in fight club just a skinny one? He is lean, yes, but not much muscle there!
http://entimg.msn.com/i/BradPitt/FIGHT_CLUB_300x298.jpg
curiouslyorange1989
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
what im saying is this;

take a man, M, give him a bone structure of X then see how much he lifts.

then take the same man and give him a lighter bone structure of Y.

M + X will not be able to lift more than M + Y. it just doesnt make sense. if anything the extra weight will reduce his lift.
M + X would have a bigger potential for mass than M + Y, and could probably build mass and get stronger quicker. M + Y would have more difficulty maintaining mass or getting as big as M + X.
Sithius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by curiouslyorange1989)
M + X would have a bigger potential for mass than M + Y, and could probably build mass and get stronger quicker. M + Y would have more difficulty maintaining mass or getting as big as M + X.
No, I disagree with this. The bone density itself doesn't have an impact on how much you lift. It might limit M + Y in their ability to lift their maximum right off the bat, because their bones aren't as strong. But after training, their bones will grow stronger and be able to effectively handle the weight the same way M + X would.

And yes, Brad Pitt looks really skinny there.
curiouslyorange1989
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No, I disagree with this. The bone density itself doesn't have an impact on how much you lift. It might limit M + Y in their ability to lift their maximum right off the bat, because their bones aren't as strong. But after training, their bones will grow stronger and be able to effectively handle the weight the same way M + X would.

And yes, Brad Pitt looks really skinny there.
lol fair enuff not a big deal to me! Big muscles good, small baaad an such
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No, I disagree with this. The bone density itself doesn't have an impact on how much you lift. It might limit M + Y in their ability to lift their maximum right off the bat, because their bones aren't as strong. But after training, their bones will grow stronger and be able to effectively handle the weight the same way M + X would..
You're saying bone density doesn't make a difference and then in the next sentence you are saying that the guy with low bone density won't be able to lift as much until his bones get denser. As you might imagine, this does not make sense to those of us who are not in your brain. You will have to choose one.

Personally I think dense bones are less likely to break and possibly slightly better at transmitting force. However, the hypothetical is silly because the only way to get the same amount of muscle mass as the other guy is to train with weights, and if you do that your bones will adapt and become dense. The entire discussion is a little bit silly actually.
Sithius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by burningnun)
You're saying bone density doesn't make a difference and then in the next sentence you are saying that the guy with low bone density won't be able to lift as much until his bones get denser. As you might imagine, this does not make sense to those of us who are not in your brain. You will have to choose one.

Personally I think dense bones are less likely to break and possibly slightly better at transmitting force. However, the hypothetical is silly because the only way to get the same amount of muscle mass as the other guy is to train with weights, and if you do that your bones will adapt and become dense. The entire discussion is a little bit silly actually.
It will make sense to those who know how to read. I said once M + Y has undergone physical training their bones will grow in strength to accommodate such lifting.

You seem to have something against me burningun (this and other posts of yours I've seen related to me). You should really grow up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (247)
57.31%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (57)
13.23%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (47)
10.9%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (37)
8.58%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
4.41%

Watched Threads