The Student Room Group

No interest in my course - English Literature

I am studying English literature but have no interest in it. Everyone I’ve ever met that studies lit seems to genuinely enjoy reading and analysing but I just don’t. I don’t feel capable of coming up with my own interpretations and rely on the internet for essays. I am good at synthesising others’ ideas but that’s about it.

I was just wondering if anyone other English students ever feel/felt this way and what you would recommend?
This is too relatable it's hurting me. I too truly struggle with constructing my own interpretations and often rely on preconcevied ideas to form the foundations of an essay.
Reply 2
Original post by logical_nonsense
This is too relatable it's hurting me. I too truly struggle with constructing my own interpretations and often rely on preconcevied ideas to form the foundations of an essay.

Thank god someone else! Everyone on my course seems to be overflowing with ideas about texts. A lot of them say they find it hard to cram all their ideas into essays. I get good marks in assignments but entirely through the use of secondary sources. I feel like a fraud.
Original post by boopityboop
Thank god someone else! Everyone on my course seems to be overflowing with ideas about texts. A lot of them say they find it hard to cram all their ideas into essays. I get good marks in assignments but entirely through the use of secondary sources. I feel like a fraud.

I'm simply incapable of producing any credible interpretations that are worth any merit. If i were to produce one, it's very basic and not at all expansive or possesses any deeper meanings. I must have a mental block or something

Quick Reply

Latest