nadir aziz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
want to apply to Edinburgh med school with predicted A*A*A* 10 GCSC A* lots of work experience and i think a strong PS but 2700 UKCAT and SJ 2. Is it worthwhile applying here? and would Manchester be any easier with those scores? thanks!
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nadir aziz)
want to apply to Edinburgh med school with predicted A*A*A* 10 GCSC A* lots of work experience and i think a strong PS but 2700 UKCAT and SJ 2. Is it worthwhile applying here? and would Manchester be any easier with those scores? thanks!
Manchester should be a guaranteed interview.
Edinburgh have not released how they are scoring applicant in detail this year, but SJT is worth 15% of final score, so I suspect you will lose 5% here. They traditionally have a very high UKCAT cohort, the average UKCAT score for Edinburgh over recent years has been 2860 (715), 2860 (715), 2130 (710) and 2850 (712.5), they are using their own deciles this year. So if this pattern continues (and that is a big if, as it may be an entirely different cohort applying), you are going to lose well over half of the 35% available for UCAT. In previous years you have been able to lose no more than around 10-20% of the total score, so you are probably looking at 25%+ gone. However, in new systems, things may change, so depends how much you like Edinburgh and how safe your other options are.
tl;dr Manchester is a much safer option
nadir aziz
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
Manchester should be a guaranteed interview.
Edinburgh have not released how they are scoring applicant in detail this year, but SJT is worth 15% of final score, so I suspect you will lose 5% here. They traditionally have a very high UKCAT cohort, the average UKCAT score for Edinburgh over recent years has been 2860 (715), 2860 (715), 2130 (710) and 2850 (712.5), they are using their own deciles this year. So if this pattern continues (and that is a big if, as it may be an entirely different cohort applying), you are going to lose well over half of the 35% available for UCAT. In previous years you have been able to lose no more than around 10-20% of the total score, so you are probably looking at 25%+ gone. However, in new systems, things may change, so depends how much you like Edinburgh and how safe your other options are.
tl;dr Manchester is a much safer option
thanks a lot. any other schools that may be safer bets? i understand edinburgh may include interview this year which would dilute everything else except the academics. That may change the rankings a bit?
nadir aziz
Rep:
?
are there particular schools that are slightly better for international students. UCAT 2700 band 2 A*A*A*A predicted all sciences and 10 A* in GCSEs. lots of work experience. was thinking edinburgh as high reach. would be very happy with Manchester. also considering Cardiff and Liverpool/leicester. Any help much appreciated
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
are there particular schools that are slightly better for international students. UCAT 2700 band 2 A*A*A*A predicted all sciences and 10 A* in GCSEs. lots of work experience. was thinking edinburgh as high reach. would be very happy with Manchester. also considering Cardiff and Liverpool/leicester. Any help much appreciated
Post to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5622970 which is the thread created for questions like these. This is so you can get a quicker response from the experienced posters and also for the benefit of future TSR users who may have similar stats.

Note that none of us here are international medical admission experts.
nadir aziz
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Post to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5622970 which is the thread created for questions like these. This is so you can get a quicker response from the experienced posters and also for the benefit of future TSR users who may have similar stats.

Note that none of us here are international medical admission experts.
thank you, will do
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thanks a lot. any other schools that may be safer bets? i understand edinburgh may include interview this year which would dilute everything else except the academics. That may change the rankings a bit?
List all your stats
You still have to get to interview at Edinburgh and this will be scored 30% academics, 35% UCAT and 15% SJT. What may change things is if a cohort with a different stats profile apply now they are interviewing. I have no idea what will be needed this year, but the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour, so I can tell you what has been needed previously
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Found your stats!
Exeter, Aberdeen (though only 25 RUK places), St Andrews, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffiled, Glasgow, UEA, ARU, SGUL, Southampton, Plymouth, Aston, KMMS, Edge Hill, Cardiff, Biemingham, Kings, Nottingham, Lincoln

Basically anywhere except Barts (unless you have more UCAS points hiding somehwere?) and you do not need the lottery that is the R&R form at Keele and Sunderland
nadir aziz
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
Found your stats!
Exeter, Aberdeen (though only 25 RUK places), St Andrews, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffiled, Glasgow, UEA, ARU, SGUL, Southampton, Plymouth, Aston, KMMS, Edge Hill, Cardiff, Biemingham, Kings, Nottingham, Lincoln

Basically anywhere except Barts (unless you have more UCAS points hiding somehwere?) and you do not need the lottery that is the R&R form at Keele and Sunderland
thank you, that helps. i should have mentioned i'm an international applicant so an even higher mountain to climb. it seems some schools have a bigger appetite for us than others. Liverpool, Cardiff amongst them. And Anglia Ruskin says not to bother applying this year if international!!
nadir aziz
Rep:
?
would you think Kings makes more sense than Edinburgh with my stats?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
would you think Kings makes more sense than Edinburgh with my stats?
Yes, but the caveat is, I do not know how either treat internationals
Kings have 30 international places, Edinburgh 17, but do not know numbers of applicants. Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham seem to have a reasonable number of places too (in the 20s).
ARU, Aston, Sunderland, Lincoln (and presumably Edge Hill and KMMS) have no places. Plymouth only 6
Last edited by GANFYD; 1 year ago
nadir aziz
Rep:
?
is there any further clarity on cardiff cut-off possibly increasing to 9A* in GCSEs? for someone scoring 26/27 i'm a bit worried I may not make the first cut. As an International student, would the same rule apply? also i'm scoring 59 for leicester but more inclined towards birmingham that says on calculator i meet their interview threshold but i dont know which one has better stats in international offers vs interviews.. And last question, as a high reach school, with my ststs, is kings less ambitious than Edinburgh? (im thinking the score needed to get to the interview may reduce as theyre changing the whole method). My stats are 8A*2As GCSE A*A*A*A predicted 2700 UCAT (81 percentile) band 2. really grateful for advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (285)
56.21%
I don't have everything I need (222)
43.79%

Watched Threads