The Student Room Group

Catriona’s Higher Year (GYG 2019-2020)

:biggrin:Catriona Does Her Highers! :smile:

Hey guys, welcome to my GYG blog! This year I’m sitting Scottish Highers (qualifications we do in our 5th year of high school). In addition, I’m aiming to leave school at the end of this year and hopefully do Law at university. I have applied to Dundee, Glasgow, Strathclyde, Aberdeen and possibly Edinburgh (I haven’t decided yet). So please, join me on my journey and hopefully we’ll all gain something out of it! ❤️

National 5
I’m so excited to say I got straight A’s at National 5 in Maths, English, History, Geography, Biology, Chemistry and Music. I put a lot of work into them and I’m so happy it paid off!

Higher
This year I am sitting Geography, History, English, Music and Chemistry which is a nice mix. Currently I’m enjoying Geography the most however there is a lot of work involved in memorising all the information. My target grades are 5 A1s, which is a lot of pressure and I’ll be very happy if I get an A at all. At the end of the day, I’ll be ecstatic with whatever result as long as I feel I’ve tried my b
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Day 1: October 4th 2019

Hey! It’s the first day of my 2 week long break and the aim is to complete the first draft of my personal statement. I wrote a large chunk of it yesterday but it’s going to be a long editing process as I’m expecting to be way over the 4000 character limit. This morning I cleaned out my bag and sorted my folder for the new term. I have a lot of work to do over the holidays so that I’m up to date with my subjects and I need to revise for upcoming Geography and English tests. To keep on top of things, I write myself a to do list so I don’t forget anything:
B0EE6B1D-B7EC-4F6D-8E6A-3483837BC04A.jpg
The book I write my lists in
2018F728-F454-4446-8F8F-03BD2FFE05A9.jpg
My to do list today! I blanked out where I’m going tomorrow for privacy reasons 😊 I play trumpet and cornet if anyone was wondering
379E7CD4-CB7E-47EE-9A40-1F2D1153F590.jpg
My ‘study buddy’ Spike
92D1739A-317F-489D-AF45-9AFEA26D1B01.jpg
The mess of my floor this morning when I was sorting my folders.

I’ll let you know how the open day goes tomorrow, and let me know if you want tagged ❤️

-Catriona
Original post by Catriona23
Day 1: October 4th 2019

Hey! It’s the first day of my 2 week long break and the aim is to complete the first draft of my personal statement. I wrote a large chunk of it yesterday but it’s going to be a long editing process as I’m expecting to be way over the 4000 character limit. This morning I cleaned out my bag and sorted my folder for the new term. I have a lot of work to do over the holidays so that I’m up to date with my subjects and I need to revise for upcoming Geography and English tests. To keep on top of things, I write myself a to do list so I don’t forget anything:
B0EE6B1D-B7EC-4F6D-8E6A-3483837BC04A.jpg
The book I write my lists in
2018F728-F454-4446-8F8F-03BD2FFE05A9.jpg
My to do list today! I blanked out where I’m going tomorrow for privacy reasons 😊 I play trumpet and cornet if anyone was wondering
379E7CD4-CB7E-47EE-9A40-1F2D1153F590.jpg
My ‘study buddy’ Spike
92D1739A-317F-489D-AF45-9AFEA26D1B01.jpg
The mess of my floor this morning when I was sorting my folders.

I’ll let you know how the open day goes tomorrow, and let me know if you want tagged ❤️

-Catriona

Hello, I hope the open day goes well. Your study buddy is super cute, what’s the breed?
Reply 3
Original post by Hazzabear
Hello, I hope the open day goes well. Your study buddy is super cute, what’s the breed?

Aw thank you! The open day was great and Spike is a Chesapeake Bay Retriever - like a Labrador if they were a little bigger and had a curly coat
Aw thank you! The open day was great and Spike is a Chesapeake Bay Retriever - like a Labrador if they were a little bigger and had a curly coat

I have a golden retriever, although she’s not very attentive. Glad to hear that the open day went well :biggrin:
Reply 5
I have a golden retriever, although she’s not very attentive. Glad to hear that the open day went well :biggrin:

Awwww love golden retrievers ❤️
Reply 6
October 6th 2019
Today I read an LNAT book to get an idea of what is expected ahead of an upcoming workshop for it on Saturday 12th. Currently writing some Geography Population Model Answers in preparation for a Test next term and quite enjoying it - writing and highlighting is therapeutic! Feeling a bit under the weather today so I’m going to stop soon and watch some of the Politician on Netflix under the duvet.

512A203B-9324-4839-AA83-16C75E13A8AA.jpg

-Catriona
Reply 7
October 8th 2019
Hello! Today I’ve got to type up some geography notes and work on my Higher Music Composition! I have my trumpet and singing lesson tonight too so I should probably do some practice for that. I sent my personal statement off to my guidance teacher too so I’m looking forward to getting some feedback with that

-Catriona
Reply 8
October 9th 2019
Hey! Today I finished typing up all 6,500 words of my geography Population notes and worked on my higher composition for a while. I want to get ahead so I don’t have a mad panic in April like I did before my National 5 deadline. I’ll be stopping for the night soon once I’ve finished highlighting my geography notes to make them more appealing - I always find them easier to read and use with a little bit of colour! I know it’s stereotypical but I love using my pastel highlighters. What are your go to stationery items? My dad said that for Christmas he’ll get me books and stationery, which I’m so excited for (how sad😂)

2126D023-58B2-4E24-9720-E7FB52A17088.jpg

-Catriona
Reply 9
October 21st 2019
Hey, sorry I haven’t updated in a while, I’ve been really busy with school work and open days! Back to school and routine today so I’m hoping to build this blog into my timetable a bit more. I’ve booked my LNAT for the 14th December to give me plenty of time to revise and I’m getting feedback on my 2nd draft of my personal statement, so my application is progressing well. I’m currently revising for tomorrow's geography test on population and soils and I’m feeling quietly confident about it. After that I’ll practice my trumpet and get an early night.

-Catriona
October 21st 2019
Hey, sorry I haven’t updated in a while, I’ve been really busy with school work and open days! Back to school and routine today so I’m hoping to build this blog into my timetable a bit more. I’ve booked my LNAT for the 14th December to give me plenty of time to revise and I’m getting feedback on my 2nd draft of my personal statement, so my application is progressing well. I’m currently revising for tomorrow's geography test on population and soils and I’m feeling quietly confident about it. After that I’ll practice my trumpet and get an early night.

-Catriona

Hello!

How did your open days go? Do you have any universities that you're liking moreover than others?

I hope your LNAT goes well on the 14th! and did your geography test go okay? :smile:
Hello!

How did your open days go? Do you have any universities that you're liking moreover than others?

I hope your LNAT goes well on the 14th! and did your geography test go okay? :smile:

Hey, thank you! My open days went well but I think it’s made me even more conflicted about where I want to go haha. At the moment Glasgow and Strathclyde are the favourites but I’m not ruling out Dundee or Aberdeen either. The geography test was okay but the marks on some of the questions took me by surprise, they were worth a lot more than we were led to believe so I just waffled and made it look like I knew what I was doing 😂
hi, sort your choice. rank from www.seeuni.org
Edinburgh: 5
Glasgow: 7
Strathclyde:8
Aberdeen:22
Dundee:23

Times and Guardian are cheating foreigners.

Quick Reply

Latest