Should religious schools (the state Christian ones at least) be banned? Watch

Poll: Should religious schools (the state Christian ones at least) be banned?
Strongly agree (2)
13.33%
Agree (3)
20%
Somewhat agree (2)
13.33%
Can't decide (0)
0%
Somewhat disagree (0)
0%
Disagree (1)
6.67%
Strongly disagree (7)
46.67%
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
what do you guys think? I personally think that all Christian STATE schools should be converted into religion neutral schools (or at least don't make so that all of the students are required to study RS for their GCSEs). It should be an option (a choice as to whether you want to do it or not) for all students regardless of whether the school is religious or not. Even if you are forced to learn the about subject (religion) you shouldn't be imposed to do an exam on it (again make it optional). I am only talking about Christian school mainly and not really the other religions!!
username4914582
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I don’t think an outright ban on religious schools is a good idea, but converting a good number into non religious schools would be a step forward. It’s wrong that in many areas the only realistic option is a religious school, when so many people in this country are simply not religious. If churches want to spread their message, that’s fine, but do it outside of schools, and don’t force people who don’t believe in it to take part. Learning about different religions is important, but being required to take an exam is a step too far.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by JanusGodofDoors)
I don’t think an outright ban on religious schools is a good idea, but converting a good number into non religious schools would be a step forward. It’s wrong that in many areas the only realistic option is a religious school, when so many people in this country are simply not religious. If churches want to spread their message, that’s fine, but do it outside of schools, and don’t force people who don’t believe in it to take part. Learning about different religions is important, but being required to take an exam is a step too far.
exactly in my old school i had to do RS for my GCSEs and do an exam for it
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
why? I see no reason to ban them.
purple milk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Why only Christian schools?
Rxnaaa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I went to a convent and it wasn’t that bad to be honest. My school was pretty accepting of people from different religions and we were never coerced into conversion (like a lot of people think they do). An outright ban is too extreme so I think RS should be optional as with many schools but other than that, banning is a bit too much lol. I did appreciate learning about other religions because terrorism is such a big thing but it would be better if that was done like it would be for sexual health; organise a talk out of the curriculum time.
Last edited by Rxnaaa; 4 months ago
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
no

your post makes me think you misunderstand the purpose of studying RE. RE isn't taught to convert you to a religion, it is taught to give you a philosophical understanding of religion and to give you an understanding of the nuances and differences in the world religions.
I know but schools shouldn't force you to do an exam on it should be a CHOICE
SlightlySummer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
Well what about core subjects then? As said above, RE isn't for converting people, it's for widening knowledge between groups of people
_ap12
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
My school "forced" me to do Spanish.How is that any different?
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by purple milk)
Why only Christian schools?
(Original post by Rxnaaa)
I went to a convent and it wasn’t that bad to be honest. My school was pretty accepting of people from different religions and we were never coerced into conversion (like a lot of people think they do). An outright ban is too extreme so I think RS should be optional as with many schools but other than that, banning is a bit too much lol. I did appreciate learning about other religions because terrorism is such a big thing but it would be better if that was done like it would be for sexual health; organise a talk out of the curriculum time.
We shouldn't ban the subject (I want keep it) I meant we should ban schools proclaiming that they are a certain religion "we are a C of E school so you have have do a written RS GCSE exam" we need to learn about different religions but not to the point that we HAVE to do an exam on it (make it optional in all state schools regardless of their religion)
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
do you think the same for Mathematics, Science and English?
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I don't know going to CofE school myself probably makes me biased. It's compulsory for me to do an RS GCSE but our school generally does well in it
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
what do you guys think? I personally think that all Christian STATE schools should be converted into religion neutral schools (or at least don't make so that all of the students are required to study RS for their GCSEs). It should be an option (a choice as to whether you want to do it or not) for all students regardless of whether the school is religious or not. Even if you are forced to learn the about subject (religion) you shouldn't be imposed to do an exam on it (again make it optional). I am only talking about Christian school mainly and not really the other religions!!
I think RS should be taught in all schools in a way that encourages open debate about the need to respect each other's religious choices - including the choice not to follow any religion at all
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I attend a Catholic academy and an RS GCSE was compulsory. However, I didn't care. I just shut up and got on with it because it didn't harm anyone in any way.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 4 months ago
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I think that religion (any religion) is a hot pile of ****, but banning them is ridiculous, as a) it's a student's (and parent's) choice to go there, and b) they don't actively harm anyone. However, if you're not religious and you go to one, you can't blame them for shoving their crap down your throat, as you weren't forced to go there.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Glaz)
I think that religion (any religion) is a hot pile of ****, but banning them is ridiculous, as a) it's a student's (and parent's) choice to go there, and b) they don't actively harm anyone. However, if you're not religious and you go to one, you can't blame them for shoving their crap down your throat, as you weren't forced to go there.
Hahaha, I mainly agree but to be fair, most pupils' parents choose their school for them at the age of about 10 when they don't really have too much say in it. And sometimes the price to be paid for attending a school with good results is 5 years of religious assemblies .... which yes, families should have taken into account before choosing a religious school
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Only if we ban mosques and anywhere promoting Islam.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Why we yeeting on Christian schools specifically right now? C of E primary schools are completely harmless. Case by case would be the best way.

Compulsory RS isn't a religious school exclusive: I went to a secular grammar and they made everybody do GCSE RE cause they realised it was an easy course and they could start teaching it as early as year 9 to get through it as few lessons per week as possible.
(Original post by Glaz)
You don't choose your own primary, and at secondary level the choices can be far less than stellar.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads