I'm a 2nd Year Oxford Mathematician, get me out of here! Watch

rebellionium
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am really worried about my MAT. I tried the past papers and I thought my marks would improve but I didn't. I got 40-55 only. I regretted applying as my teachers knew this and would probably feel disappointed. I did not work hard enough in the past years and I had only realised that I need to take this test less than 2 months before. I must admit that I am not a top student in maths even though I enjoy it and perhaps I should have applied to something else instead.
laura10203
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rebellionium)
I am really worried about my MAT. I tried the past papers and I thought my marks would improve but I didn't. I got 40-55 only. I regretted applying as my teachers knew this and would probably feel disappointed. I did not work hard enough in the past years and I had only realised that I need to take this test less than 2 months before. I must admit that I am not a top student in maths even though I enjoy it and perhaps I should have applied to something else instead.
I'm the same with the PAT. I have an extra problem though, originally I was going to apply to Cambridge for Natural Sciences which requires a completely different test. I only changed my mind like two months ago and I don't know if I can do well enough to get an interview. I have to beat around 1100 people to get one.
But don't give up hope just yet, also remember that they aren't expecting people to get very high scores.
Good luck to both us. Whatever may happen. 🍀🍀🍀🍀 🍀
rebellionium
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
laura10203 I only decided to do maths and cs recently. I wanted to study engineering or physics in the past. Sometimes I ask myself why not apply to physics instead? that's probably easier for me to get in than maths and cs. But I know choosing a course that you really want to do is more important. I guess I've made the right decision anyway.
laura10203
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
rebellionium
In the past I was stuck between medicine, genetic engineering and physics for ages. I only finally decided physics recently. I did consider doing maths though because I am way better at maths than I am at physics but as you said choosing the right course is more important, at least half of the PAT is maths so, that helps. But I do think that we both made the right decision and hopefully everything works out well for both us. 🤞
vicvic38
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
"Grim-visaged war hath smoothed his wrinkled front"

End of 2nd Week

:beer:

Well, here we are again! Things have certainly gotten better this week. I have a terrible tendency to look forward within my subject, and get a bit scared by the things I've not seen yet. However, I've now hit my stride, and have had two tutorials on the sheets I was worried about! They went extraordinarily well, compared to how I thought they'd go. I sometimes forget that I felt the exact same despair at the beginning of last year, and I managed to get over that.

I've taken a new approach to my work and I am far happier. Instead of worrying what is right, I'm trusting my gut and forming the logic I think is right. It might be the slower way, or I might miss something, but actually letting go and problem solving is so much fun, and the reason I like Maths. I'd been taken in by (admittedly better) other mathematicians who got a lot right, and so I thought that was what I should be worrying about. Your problem sheets are learning exercises, and getting things wrong is important to learning. Second year is much better than first year.

We have a new tutor for Analysis this year, and he is absolutely incredible. He goes through key parts we needed to know for the sheet, and then writes out as he works though it with us. We then get a copy of what he's written. The tutorials feel really productive.

I also had my first French Class this week. Lots of fun! I studied French to year 9, and then left it there (even though I could have done really well at GCSE.) It's great I've been able to pick it back up, even if it is as the most basic level. I've had to go through the alphabet and numbers again. I don't mind, because someone finally explained to me what accents actually do. I can't actually believe I'd never seen that. So we're pasting over the cracks in the slab with our latex patching compound and our patching trowel. It's a good class, with all sorts of people in it, from other undergrads to townies.

In other news, The Oxford Doctor Who Society has been doing really well. We had a well full room at our meeting last night, and I'm really glad the society is so healthy under my leadership. It can be quite nerve wracking at the beginning of the new year, as you have no idea how many freshers you're going to pick up. There's always that worry in the back of your mind that no one new will show up.

I've been looking for concerts to go to. I might go see a performance of Faure's Requiem next Saturday. All around Oxford there are boards with bits of paper stuck to them advertising music things.

Anyway, until next time!

Spoiler:
Show
vicvic38
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rebellionium)
Well, I don't tell many people this, but I only got 48. I've had people look very shocked and say "I thought that was below the cutoff!" With an otherwise strong application, it is possible.
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would definitely join the doctor who society if I went to oxford! :gah:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (140)
18.72%
Labour (320)
42.78%
Liberal Democrats (152)
20.32%
Green Party (41)
5.48%
Brexit Party (21)
2.81%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.27%
SNP (9)
1.2%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.8%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)