Kaf12345
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys I'm applying for medicine but I'm not sure about some of the sections. So I have a German passport and I was born in Germany but I've lived in England for the past 9 years so I'm basically considered a home student. What do I write down as my residential category?
Kaf12345
Rep:
?
"Do you have a parent, step parent, spouse or civil partner who is an EU (excluding the UK), EEA or Swiss national?"
Is this asking whether they're living in the EU right now or if they have an EU nationality?
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kaf12345)
Hey guys I'm applying for medicine but I'm not sure about some of the sections. So I have a German passport and I was born in Germany but I've lived in England for the past 9 years so I'm basically considered a home student. What do I write down as my residential category?
UK citizen - England. According to the UCAS form, you are English, mein Freund.

If you press the ? button next to the Residential category box, you get this handy guide (my emphasis):

Questions to determine your provisional status

Q1 Are you a UK or EU national or the direct descendant (child or grandchild) or the spouse or civil partner of a UK or EU national?
YES go to question 2
NO go to question 6

Q2 For three years or more prior to the start of your course, have you lived in the UK including British Overseas Territories, Channel Islands and Isle of Man?
YES go to question 3
NO go to question 10

Q3 For any of that three year period, have you only been living in the UK, including British Overseas Territories, Channel Islands and Isle of Man to receive full-time education?
YES go to question 4
NO go to question 5

Q4 Prior to that three year period, did you live in the UK, including British Overseas Territories, Channel Islands and Isle of Man?
YES go to question 5
NO go to question 10

Q5 You are likely to fit into one of the following categories:
UK citizen - England
UK citizen - Scotland
UK citizen - Wales
UK citizen - Northern Ireland
British citizen - Channel Islands and Isle of Man
British citizen - British Overseas Territories
Please select the appropriate country / area you have lived in for the past three years. You must not have lived there just for full-time education. If you have lived in that country / area for three years partly for full-time education, you must have also lived in that country / area prior to that period of study.
Last edited by 学生の父; 1 year ago
Kaf12345
Rep:
?
Alright thank you!
Last edited by Kaf12345; 1 year ago
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You answer YES to Q2, so EU national (non UK citizen) doesn't apply.

(Not that it really matters for 2020, since all EU citizens will pay Home fees. The point is, though, you will want SFE funding.)
Kaf12345
Rep:
?
Thank you so much! That's so helpful

"Do you have a parent, step parent, spouse or civil partner who is an EU (excluding the UK), EEA or Swiss national?"
Is this asking whether they're living in the EU right now or if they have an EU nationality?
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kaf12345)
Thank you so much! That's so helpful

You start at Q1, and you finish at Q5 when you have your answer. You don't need to go further than that.

This UCAS question is badly worded, and is confusing. As you yourself said at the top of thread, to all intents and purposes you are British for the purposes of fees status, not EU.

In order to be EU, you would be living quietly in Köln or Augsburg filling in your form. You're not --- you're in England. So, yes, technically the passport you hold is German, but for this exercise you are UK citizen - England.

Just get your form in quickly before we Brexit, and HM Government changes its mind!
Germannahila
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So what's your name
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.46%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
45.26%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.63%
I'm really nervous (56)
19.65%

Watched Threads