Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What the actual f***!

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-49933003
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Now this - this is good news. Not good as in, it's nice to hear, but it's just good.
purple milk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
LOL!
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Given that the man is Russian, I find it more plausible that he was forcibly outed in some way, and (given that gay men are routinely beaten and killed in Russia for being gay) is mounting a public lawsuit using this cryptocurrency/app to essentially place the "blame" for being gay on a third arty to try and avoid being persecuted for being gay. I wonder also if the lawsuit might require he attend court in the US, as if so he may well claim for asylum on arrival...

Of course it may be as absurd as it appears on the surface. However from what I've seen cases involving lawsuits by individuals against large companies are rarely as absurd as painted in the media and are usually rather tragic stories when you understand the victim/plaintiff/complainant's motivations and experiences (e.g. Liebeck v. McDonald's).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
Welshvisitor
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mine keeps showing me **** pics and I keep getting notifications from Grindr. I’m pretty sure I’m going to turn gay soon if I don’t stop meeting up with those friendly guys. I don’t mind the sex at all, I’m just afraid I’ll turn gay if I meet any more. If he succeeds I’m gonna sue too.
Last edited by Welshvisitor; 1 year ago
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Given that the man is Russian, I find it more plausible that he was forcibly outed in some way, and (given that gay men are routinely beaten and killed in Russia for being gay)
Do you have any evidence to back up this claim?
I wonder also if the lawsuit might require he attend court in the US, as if so he may well claim for asylum on arrival...
This would seem to be bordering on a conspiracy theory now...?

[/quote]
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by purple milk)
What the actual f***!

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-49933003
This is it. This is what makes me find humanity kinda tolerable
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Napp)
They literally linked an article about the death of a prominent LGBT rights activist in the very article under discussion: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49081626

Thanks for reminding me of your perennial inability to add anything constructive to a discussion however.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
They literally linked an article about the death of a prominent LGBT rights activist in the very article under discussion: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49081626
Are you being intentionally obtuse or do you seriously not understand what the word 'routinely' means?
Thanks for reminding me of your perennial inability to add anything constructive to a discussion however.
Oh bless you sweetie :lol: Is the best you can do, when someone calls out your horse****, really just throw around cute little insults?
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cos it did!
username4977980
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Napp)

This would seem to be bordering on a conspiracy theory now...?
[/QUOTE]
They literally have concentration camps for gay people in chehenya which is under Russian juristiction.
username4499734
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Gotta make that schmoney somehow 🤑🤑
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They literally have concentration camps for gay people in chehenya which is under Russian juristiction.[/QUOTE]

De facto not de jure. Mr Kadyrov runs the place how he sees fit, irrespective of Moscow's opinion on the matter. Their view is quite simple, he has near enough complete free reign so long as he keeps Chechnya in Moscows orbit and squashes the terrorist threat from there (and keeps it squashed).
username4977980
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Napp)
They literally have concentration camps for gay people in chehenya which is under Russian juristiction.
De facto not de jure. Mr Kadyrov runs the place how he sees fit, irrespective of Moscow's opinion on the matter. Their view is quite simple, he has near enough complete free reign so long as he keeps Chechnya in Moscows orbit and squashes the terrorist threat from there (and keeps it squashed).[/QUOTE]
That doesn't matter. It's part of Russia. You said it didn't happen in Russia. It does happen in chehenya which is a federal subject of Russia so you're wrong.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AJ126y)
De facto not de jure. Mr Kadyrov runs the place how he sees fit, irrespective of Moscow's opinion on the matter. Their view is quite simple, he has near enough complete free reign so long as he keeps Chechnya in Moscows orbit and squashes the terrorist threat from there (and keeps it squashed).
That doesn't matter. It's part of Russia. You said it didn't happen in Russia. It does happen in chehenya which is a federal subject of Russia so you're wrong.[/QUOTE]
So you're basing your entire argument on a rather flawed interpretation of how Russia and Chechnya are governed bound up in a technicality? Cute :lol:
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I honestly don't know what's worse: the article, or all the broken [/quote] tags in this thread. :erm:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.07%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (67)
30.59%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (26)
11.87%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.22%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.48%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.4%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.37%

Watched Threads