daismcg
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all, am currently revising for my assessments for GCSE and I am finding it really difficult to revise the components within animal and plant cells and what each part does. My exams are very soon and so I understand if this can't be replied to within the time period but I would be grateful to know how to learn the different parts and their functions regardless. I hope someone could he me out
i'mconcuzled
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
animal and some plant cells
Cytoplasm A jelly-like material that contains dissolved nutrients and salts and structures called organelles. It is where many of the chemical reactions happen.
Nucleus Contains genetic material, including DNA, which controls the cell’s activities.
Cell membrane Its structure is permeable to some substances but not to others. It controls the movement of substances in and out of the cell.
Mitochondria Organelles that contain the enzymes for respiration, and where most energy is released in respiration.
Ribosomes A tiny organelle where protein synthesis occurs.

Plants only
Chloroplast Organelles that contain the green pigment, chlorophyll, which absorbs light energy for photosynthesis. Contains the enzymes needed for photosynthesis.
Cell wall Made from cellulose fibres and strengthens the cell and supports the plant.
Permanent vacuole Filled with cell sap to help keep the cell shape
Attached files
summerberry19
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! I’m only in Year 9 but I think I can help (just started my GCSE course and cells is the first topic....got these slightly lame but effective memorisation techniques as well.

In animal cells and plant cells:
* Nucleus
* Cell membrane - has a ‘brane’ and lets through only certain substances.
* Cytoplasm - is the ‘cyte’ (as in site) of most of the chemical reactions.
* Ribosome - I know this one is a bit far-fetched but I think of ‘rib’ in the first part of the word. Ribs (like the food) are a source of protein ; likewise ribosomes are organelles where protein synthesis occurs.
* Mitochondria

The three additional parts of the plant cell:
* Vacuole - This one is straight-up crazy but here we go: it’s a ‘ole (hole) of cell sap.
* Cell wall
* Chloroplast - a chloroplast contains chlorophyll

I hope this helped. Good luck with your exams! xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.57%
I'm not sure (56)
4.64%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.3%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (587)
48.59%

Watched Threads