Renting a flat at 18!!!

Watch
Carlax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I earn about £600pcm and my boyfriend earns around £1000pcm, how much should we save before renting? The flats are around £350pcm but what else would we pay on top of that? And how would we go about getting a private rented flat? Help!!
fxlloutboyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you need to look at all other costs such as gas electric wifi tv license water and sewage council tax food shopping transport costs ie bus or car expenses and thats all just necessary stuff, you'll need to factor in eating out or extra expenses too. 1600pm wont go very far living independently unless you are quite frugal and on a semi strict budget
Carlax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by fxlloutboyy)
you need to look at all other costs such as gas electric wifi tv license water and sewage council tax food shopping transport costs ie bus or car expenses and thats all just necessary stuff, you'll need to factor in eating out or extra expenses too. 1600pm wont go very far living independently unless you are quite frugal and on a semi strict budget
We’re planning on saving quite a bit so we can get at least 2-3 month rent out of the way, so then we can focus on the other bills. I’m the brains off the relationship so I’ve been left in charge of the budgeting
fxlloutboyy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
2-3 months isn't a lot to have saved away when your income is slow, unless you're both working full time, which you obviously aren't due to the income you're bringing in, you will really struggle and may get yourself into debt which isn't worth it
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Best advice is to save up six months rent plus an extra two weeks rent in advance.
You will probably be asked for a deposit of up to six weeks rent.
Moving costs for furniture and other items are also likely.

Check up the local area where you would like to rent to see what average rental prices are.
You can search the spareroom, gumtree and easyproperty websites for flats available to rent.
In addition to rent you will also have to pay: a television licence, electricity, gas, water bills, council tax unless both of you are full time students.
If you want sky tv, broadband or a landline telephone- that will cost you extra.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Carlax)
I earn about £600pcm and my boyfriend earns around £1000pcm, how much should we save before renting? The flats are around £350pcm but what else would we pay on top of that? And how would we go about getting a private rented flat? Help!!
The costs will vary dependent on location but assuming that you can get an apartment within walking distance of work (to get rid of travel costs) then you are looking at about £400 extra on top of your rent in my opinion because of the costs listed above and your existing probable direct debits like phone and gym membership.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.61%
I'm not sure (40)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (280)
30.3%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.6%
I'm not a current university student (445)
48.16%

Watched Threads