therealFelixS
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I'm an international student and have started year 12 studying history, english lit and politics. I'm considering studying law in the future. I would like to go to a uni like UCL, KCL, Nottingham, Bristol or Manchester. My only problem is that my gcses were bad and lower than predicted. I got 5 in maths, 5-4 in science, 8 in history, 7s in english lit, french and spanish, 6s in geography and english lang, and a D in computing. I was wondering if those universities and other similar RG ones would still accept me with quite bad results and a fail in computing even if it's not too relevant to law? Also might it affect my prospects when applying to a law firm in the future?
Euphoria101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Some unis have GCSE requirements, I'm certain UCL for example require a 6 in Maths/English at GCSE.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by therealFelixS)
So I'm an international student and have started year 12 studying history, english lit and politics. I'm considering studying law in the future. I would like to go to a uni like UCL, KCL, Nottingham, Bristol or Manchester. My only problem is that my gcses were bad and lower than predicted. I got 5 in maths, 5-4 in science, 8 in history, 7s in english lit, french and spanish, 6s in geography and english lang, and a D in computing. I was wondering if those universities and other similar RG ones would still accept me with quite bad results and a fail in computing even if it's not too relevant to law? Also might it affect my prospects when applying to a law firm in the future?
Your GCSEs aren't too bad. Of the unis you have listed, I think the 5 in maths will only be a problem for UCL and even then you're International, so worth checking with their Admissions. You will still get RG offers if your predicted A level grades are good enough and no one will care about the D in computing.

Bristol put a 20% weighting on GCSE grades but I think yours are good enough - maybe returnmigrant can comment on that?

Also, it won't affect your future prospects - again, law firms will be looking at your A level and degree results
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
As above, although most Unis don't ask for specific GCSEs for Law, they may 'score' your overall GCSE profile as part of their assessment. This will only be a small % as they are far more interested in your current performance (and LNAT score if applicable). Your GCSEs are fine - those sort of grades are actually fairly typical for most applicants - and you shouldn't worry about this. Concentrate on your A levels - that is what will be the deal breaker, not your GCSEs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?