Dying alone, what safety measures are feasible? Watch

Issue
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Living alone has a lot of benefits, but also a few dangers. The classic danger is falling terribly ill when you’re home alone and not being able to reach a phone for help. It’s not that irrational a fear; brain strokes are more common then people think and can incapacitate the sufferer so that he she cannot walk or crawl to a phone. Or the classic accidentally electrocuting yourself to death due to a faulty appliance is always a possibility. :holmes:

You may say: “If I don’t show up at work, they’ll contact me”. But what if they call you on the phone, don’t reach you and… then what? :dontknow: They might notice your absence, but they may only shrug and plan to whinge at you when you show up again.

But do your co-workers have your house key, or do they know how to reach someone who does have a house key? :ninja:

So, if you live alone and want to tackle this problem, what have you done? Share your tips and tricks!
errrr99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Classic most likely method of dying alone at home (DAAH): faulty phone charger/vaping kit exploding in face.
Future most likely method of DAAH: 'flu epidemic or epidemic related to anti-vaxers
Future most likely method of dying in hospital: antibiotic resistant infections after necessary operations/procedures.
Other methods of DAAH: catastrophic internal bleeding (e.g. stomach ulcer, brain aneurysm)
Other common causes of death: heart attack, cancers (hospital/hospice deaths)

Accidents can be avoided by a cautious and prepared strategy e.g. regular house maintenance including the boiler, hedges, trees, guttering, etc...

There are some advantages of dying without tubes sticking out of every orifice/part of you; and without anyone "massaging" your heart, breaking several of your ribs.
Issue
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by errrr99)
Classic most likely method of dying alone at home (DAAH): faulty phone charger/vaping kit exploding in face.
Future most likely method of DAAH: 'flu epidemic or epidemic related to anti-vaxers
Future most likely method of dying in hospital: antibiotic resistant infections after necessary operations/procedures.
Other methods of DAAH: catastrophic internal bleeding (e.g. stomach ulcer, brain aneurysm)

Accidents can be avoided by a cautious and prepared strategy e.g. regular house maintenance including the boiler, hedges, trees, guttering, etc...

There are some advantages of dying without tubes sticking out of every orifice/part of you; and without anyone "massaging" your heart, breaking several of your ribs.
Other causes of hospital deaths could include sheer gross negligence on the doctor's/nurse's part. :rip: :unimpressed:
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
yeah once I heard what chest compressions do to people I think I (irrationally I know) would be much less likely to attempt them
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Most people who die from an anticipated cause would rather do so at home. Sadly its not managed in many cases.

Only "several"? If they're over 70 try 'like squishing a bag of marbles'. Not an exaggeration.
(Original post by Issue)
Other causes of hospital deaths could include sheer gross negligence on the doctor's/nurse's part. :rip: :unimpressed:
Whilst mistakes in hospital are very common, and death may even be hastened as a result, to die exclusively from an error with no other cause would be pretty rare!
YaliaV
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is a slightly bizarre thread for a student forum.
errrr99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by YaliaV)
This is a slightly bizarre thread for a student forum.
agreed, but isn't it...quite fun to be "weird" now and again? Especially if it comes from a place of genuine curiousity?
YaliaV
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
agreed, but isn't it...quite fun to be "weird" now and again? Especially if it comes from a place of genuine curiousity?
Maybe. I probably will die alone and I don’t really care any more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.74%
It's just nice to be back! (167)
26.94%
Not great so far... (224)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (119)
19.19%

Watched Threads