nikini
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Why in some cases when melting boiling do molecules overcome the intermolecular forces between them and other times break the covalent bonds (giant covalent structures) ? Won't breaking the covalent bonds make it a different molecule ? And what are the requirements to break covalent instead of overcome intermolecular?
S.dsh12
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
there are 2 types of covalent bonding
1) simple covalent
2) giant covalent lattice structures

the simple covalent bonding has a small structure, therefore, the particles are strongly bonded to each other, however, between those particles there are weak intermolecular forces holding the structure together. when melting or boiling a bond these intermolecular bonds needs to be broken down .as there are weak intermolecular forces the melting pint is lower this is because there is less energy required to overcome the forces.

giant covalent lattice structures have a large structure, therefore the particles are strongly bonded to each other .these particles are held together by a strong electrostatic force of attraction. that's why when melting or boiling they require a lot of energy to break the bonds.
I hope this helps .i am not good at explaining
nikini
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So only giant covalent structures break the covalent whilst the simple just overcome intermolecular? What about ionic lattices? Is It the same?

(Original post by S.dsh12)
there are 2 types of covalent bonding
1) simple covalent
2) giant covalent lattice structures

the simple covalent bonding has a small structure, therefore, the particles are strongly bonded to each other, however, between those particles there are weak intermolecular forces holding the structure together. when melting or boiling a bond these intermolecular bonds needs to be broken down .as there are weak intermolecular forces the melting pint is lower this is because there is less energy required to overcome the forces.

giant covalent lattice structures have a large structure, therefore the particles are strongly bonded to each other .these particles are held together by a strong electrostatic force of attraction. that's why when melting or boiling they require a lot of energy to break the bonds.
I hope this helps .i am not good at explaining
Mason James
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
you don't break any bonds, just intermolecular forces
S.dsh12
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nikini)
So only giant covalent structures break the covalent whilst the simple just overcome intermolecular? What about ionic lattices? Is It the same?
yes, ionic lattice structures also have electrostatic forces
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (19)
17.12%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (29)
26.13%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (59)
53.15%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
3.6%

Watched Threads