If labour were to get back into power, when would uni tuition fees get scrapped Watch

SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
They aren't
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES)
Say something like a vote of no confidence passed, in these next few months, and somehow a general election was called, when would labour scrap tuition fees? next academic year?

And also whats the likelihood of a general election within these next few months?
Likelihood of a general election is pretty high, the current government is crippled. Likelihood of a strong labour majority with the ability to pass this kind of legislation is much less. The SNP potentially wouldn't vote on issues that affect England and Wales only.

If this were to be a thing that was happening, then it would take time to get the necessary legislation through parliament. It probably wouldn't be the first order of business. Time would then be needed to look at new funding arrangements and to allow unis to prepare- the transition period is likely to be at least a year- so it's likely this wouldn't come into force before 2021-2022 at the very earliest.

Do bear in mind that if uni funding changed, then lots of other things are likely to change too. Under the old system (£3000ish loans) unis face tight quotas on the number of students they could take. This made getting into most unis more difficult. Unis would move away from the recruitment model. It's very likely that some unis would also stop running some courses, or maybe even close all together.

In the event there was a change to tuition fees, a lot of things would change, and it might not be a great time to be applying to uni.
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
They wouldn't, politicians are prone telling porkies.
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I fail to see how it makes much of a difference to students. The more immediate problem is living costs which are upfront and have to be dealt with there and then, not money that the student doesn't see at all and repays over a period of many years. Surely you'd be better off campaigning for a maintenance grant again.
Welshvisitor
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Can’t imagine uni fees being scrapped the day after an election. Brexit could have f***** the economy by then and the government- even a labour government- would have to think extremely carefully about scrapping the income stream student loan repayments provide the treasury with.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Welshvisitor)
Can’t imagine uni fees being scrapped the day after an election. Brexit could have f***** the economy by then and the government- even a labour government- would have to think extremely carefully about scrapping the income stream student loan repayments provide the treasury with.
If Johnson can bring in a good deal, then the subsequent Labour Government can bring in one of the greatest social welfare programmes ever. Free education, nationalised industries, better health service, stronger welfare systems etc.
ChoiceBanded
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
All unlikely imo. If he scraps tuition fees then where is he getting the money and that means money for other things will have to be scrapped, like the nhs money.

Dont think he will get in anyway. he is pretty unelectable.
you know that unelectable guy who won the party election by the biggest margin ever only to be beaten by him again
HiViz9
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ChoiceBanded)
you know that unelectable guy who won the party election by the biggest margin ever only to be beaten by him again
I joined the Labour party just to be able to vote and give money to Corbyn so that he would beat the Blairites.. and he did. I was ecstatic. Later I realised Labour opposes freedom of expression and latches on to any fad or minority group crap.
Corbyn is not a leader. Being in the top position does not mean you are a leader with the skills to lead a country.
I stopped my LAbpur Party membership and gave the fees to Tommy Robinson. I also stopped my TV Licence fee and gave that money to Tommy Robinson. If Corbyn promised me £1000 a day I would never, ever vote for any party which opposes free speech.
Last edited by HiViz9; 2 weeks ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ChoiceBanded)
Doesn't make sense.
Being elected as leader to the labour party with all his cronies is different from being elected PM.
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Only the gullible would believe Labour would scrap tuition fees
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES)
Say something like a vote of no confidence passed, in these next few months, and somehow a general election was called, when would labour scrap tuition fees? next academic year?

And also whats the likelihood of a general election within these next few months?
On the off chance that he had a majority and was not the head of a rainbow coalition then i would imagine that they would not be scrapped until the 2023-2024 academic year. If he already has your vote, there is little incentive to do it quickly when it will be costly. Delaying it a bit means he still goes into the 2024 election having done it for a whole load of new student voters.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.38%
No (213)
76.62%

Watched Threads