The Student Room Group

preparing for finals

hi all. was just wondering if someone can give some advice about preparing for finals because I am finding myself very lost and very stressed about the best way to approach this.

My final theory papers are in 7 months' time and I'm very worried about this and whether i'll pass because so far in med school I have just about scrapped through every exam. I've consistenly been only 1-2% above the pass mark so understandbly I want to work as hard as I can to avoid this happening with the final theory papers. I especially do not want to go through the anxious of wait of having to wait 6 weeks to find out whether i've passed and go through the insomnia and panic during this period.

What worries me even more is that over the summer I appear to have lost any knowledge I did have and so i feel that im having to catch up on material i didn't learn properly and things i don't remember on top of learning new things. I've just spent a month on paeds and due to the long commute I just haven't studied and couldn't bring myself to open any of the books because the task to study for finals feels huge. My firm tutor has commented that my knowledge is lacking but even at this stage i'm now wondering whether it is a waste of time to sit there making copious notes which is what everyone does.

Everyone in my year seems to get subscriptions to q banks but this never helped me previously so i'm dubious. How did you revise for finals? Over the year did you go in to see patients much or did you stay at home to study? Are one of the medical finals revision books enough alongside the FDF video series?
any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply 1
just wondering if anyone had any advice on this really. thanks
passmedicine and Onexam!
Reply 3
Original post by medicalstuff
passmedicine and Onexam!

thanks for this but how did you go about learning the actual content? did you write many notes and if not what did you do? for example this year I have psychiatry and obstetrics as completely new blocks so i don't feel that i can keep using q banks before i've covered the actual material if that makes sense?
Original post by Anonymous
thanks for this but how did you go about learning the actual content? did you write many notes and if not what did you do? for example this year I have psychiatry and obstetrics as completely new blocks so i don't feel that i can keep using q banks before i've covered the actual material if that makes sense?

For my medical school, we used "Psychiatry at a Glance" and Impey & Child's O&G textbooks for these respective subjects. Both not too large (O&G a bit larger than Psych) and very readable. Find out from higher years (or graduates in case of finals...) what textbook is most in line with your curriculum and start with just reading them. Then do loads of MCQs.
Original post by Anonymous

i didnt make notes, i studies from revision guides books directly and kept repeating the quesiton banks , i made notes from quesiton bank mistakes and studied from this

repetition is key

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending