The Student Room Group

my family thinks im too skinny and possibly anorexic?

im a girl, 17, 4’11 and weight 45kg. my body proportions are 34/27/36 and according to my friends i have a healthy looking body which is not too skinny. but according to my family and cousins im too skinny. im the only person in the family with a very fast metabolism, its really hard for me to gain weight. and my parents force me to eat a lot, its gotten to the point where im tired and lost my appetite to even eat food. i used to like my body but now looking at myself i feel too skinny and dont even want to come out of my room. i get weird looks from my cousins, because im too skinny and not ‘slim thick’ like them. im just lost atm. my cousins even convinced my mom that there might be something wrong with my body. :frown:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by iyigunler
im a girl, 17, 4’11 and weight 45kg. my body proportions are 34/27/36 and according to my friends i have a healthy looking body which is not too skinny. but according to my family and cousins im too skinny. im the only person in the family with a very fast metabolism, its really hard for me to gain weight. and my parents force me to eat a lot, its gotten to the point where im tired and lost my appetite to even eat food. i used to like my body but now looking at myself i feel too skinny and dont even want to come out of my room. i get weird looks from my cousins, because im too skinny and not ‘slim thick’ like them. im just lost atm. my cousins even convinced my mom that there might be something wrong with my body. :frown:

Being "skinny" doesn't mean you're anorexic. Talk to your family, or someone you trust within your family about how these comments are making you feel.
Anorexia is a problem which relates to how much you are eating and not what you look like
If you have a lack or loss of apetite or don't eat enough for you, then you may be anorexic and have a problem, otherwise you aren't
Original post by iyigunler

I can remember a teacher at my son's school phoning me up and saying they thought my son was anorexic/bulimic. This scared the living daylights out of me. He was just very, very skinny, and now, even though he is still slim, he has filled out a little bit. I was also very thin when a teenager, and wish like anything I was skinny again!
Work out your BMI from an app. If you’re in the healthy zone great you have evidence for your family. If you’re not see your GP perhaps there is a medical reason. Take your mum that’ll put her mind at rest too.
Anorexia isn't just being skinny, otherwise every skinny person would be diagnosed with it. It's about your state of mind and how you relate to food and your appearance.
anorexia is a mental illness not a body type

you sound perfectly normal although I haven't worked out your BMI but if you eat plenty and feel healthy and your weight isn't falling you just need to ignore your family

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending