The Student Room Group

Should referendum results be honoured?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Burton Bridge
He's not wrong :rofl:

"Outside America, spelt is more common, but spelled is generally accepted."
That is from the link that Colline used to "prove" that "spelled" is not acceptable use in British English.
Would you like some cream for that, it looks sore.

Nice insults again, if you was a leaver you would of been banned by now

Playing the victim card now? It's like "loser bingo".
Original post by QE2
That is from the link that Colline used to "prove" that "spelled" is not acceptable use in British English.

Sound mate, I'll let you know how many $**ts I dont give about it.

I'd still rep colin again for it :wink:

Now back on topic, you have plenty to reply too.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by QE2

Calm down, children.
Original post by HiViz9
Calm down, children.

Lol yes you are right, back on topic. Nobody who matters really cares about spelling and grammar on an informal social media forum.
Reply 84
Original post by 0le
As far as I understand it, a referendum is not binding. However, it is surely political suicide to not accept its result.

Not if a majority is opposed to the practical implementation of the result - which seems to be the case at the moment.
I think it's good to look at the Swiss system of referendums and direct democracy -- Switzerland is arguably the one country in the world which has more experience than any other with this sort of thing, and most of the time it works for them. There's been a recent incident in Switzerland whereby politicians failed to provide correct information to voters, and as a consequence the referendum was voided (for the first time ever in Swiss history) on the basis that had correct information been provided, then the outcome of the ballot could have been different
- https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/wrong-statistics_historic-verdict-forces-swiss-re-vote-on-family-tax-breaks/44887174

The judges ruled that the government had failed to provide correct information to voters on a proposal to ensure equal tax treatment for married and unmarried couples, according to a Federal Court statement published on Wednesday.

“The incomplete and intransparent information by the government violated the freedom of vote. Keeping in mind the close result and the severe nature of the irregularities, it is possible that the outcome of the ballot could have been different,” the statement said.

Last year, the government admitted the misinformation, saying the number of couples that would be affected was wrongly reported. Instead of the 80,000 married and registered couples that were in line to benefit from reduced taxes, it was 454,000 couples.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by Vinny C
Hey... they usually both gang up on me! I'm feeling jealous. Guess they just got fed up losing every time.

Unfortunately, due to a chronic case of Dunning-Kruger syndrome, they keep thinking they are winning. Bless.
Reply 87
Original post by gjd800
Weird prescriptivism here

I like 'spelt' but the OED allows both spelled and spelt as standard past participle/past tense. 'Spelled' has heritage in England as far back as the 1600s, and Shakespeare also 'spelled' it as a variation of this in Love's Labour's Lost circa 1598

Spelt came in in the mid 18th Century, and so it's not as easy as all that

Their attitude to this issue is Brexit In A Nutshell™.
Make a flawed claim and then stick by it, regardless of evidence to the contrary.
"Spelt means Spelt!"

Personally, I favour spelled over spelt because spelt also has another, entirely different definition.
Reply 88
Original post by ColinDent
And when we're talking about common usage? It has recently been used again because of the Americanisation of our language and for no other reason than that.
But really my point was about another posters pedantry that has appeared on more than one reply in this thread alone, it's not something that I would normally do myself.

You are perfectly entitled to accuse me of pedantry in my pointing out errors in others' spelling and grammar. However, your argument fails on two counts.
1. It is not really pedantry to point out a definitive, unequivocal error.
2. My "error" that you picked up on has been proved to not be an error - even by your own evidence.

So we can see that is is you, rather than me who is the pedant (because the mistake you picked on isn't really a mistake but the one I commented on was), plus the irony of your attempt to ridicule me through such means only making yourself look ridiculous.
TBH, this outcome was kinda predictable.
Reply 89
Original post by QE2
Not if a majority is opposed to the practical implementation of the result - which seems to be the case at the moment.

So... what do you prefer... IN or OUT of the EU?
Reply 90
However the referendum result was not legally binding; however, it was widely accepted that the vote would be politically binding on future Westminster Parliaments.

The video proved this,

And yet, you are still unable to point to the part of the video that "proves" this.
Just give me the time code(s) of the relevant part(s) of his speech. What are you afraid of?
We should just cancel brexit and be done with it. BJ won't be able to do what he wants. He'll run with his tail between his legs or be forced out and we can finally put this whole mess behind us. Lets face it, remain will out in the end.
Reply 92
You are confused again, Colin is an English-language masculine given name. ... An anglicized form of the Gaelic name Cuilen, Cailean, modern Irish spelling Coileáin, meaning "whelp, cub". The Old Irish word for "whelp," is cuilén. The Scottish Gaelic name is recorded in the spelling Colin from as early as the 14th century.

Meaning: (1) short for Nicolas; (2) Gaelic cuilen "whelp"

Really? You ignore the primary issue of you not knowing that "spelled" is perfectly acceptable British English and arrogantly insisting that it isn't despite being proved wrong, but obsess about the meaningless usage of a name.
Brexit In A Nutshell™

BTW, Collin is a legitimate girl's name, and while I admit that it is an el of a difference, it's pretty much the same name.
Original post by QE2
And yet, you are still unable to point to the part of the video that "proves" this.
Just give me the time code(s) of the relevant part(s) of his speech. What are you afraid of?

It's a 1:48 second video, if you dont have the attention span to listen to it then stick to "debate" with others.
Original post by QE2
Really? You ignore the primary issue of you not knowing that "spelled" is perfectly acceptable British English and arrogantly insisting that it isn't despite being proved wrong, but obsess about the meaningless usage of a name.
Brexit In A Nutshell™

BTW, Collin is a legitimate girl's name, and while I admit that it is an el of a difference, it's pretty much the same name.

:yawn:
Reply 95
Sound mate, I'll let you know how many $**ts I dont give about it.

That's funny. You gave plenty of ****s about it when you thought you were right. That's called "cognitive dissonance" and is relevant to Dunning-Kruger syndrome. Look them up.

I'd still rep colin again for it :wink:

Of course you would, in the same way that Leavers insist they will still vote Leave, despite having all their "reasons" for voting Leave proved wrong.
BrIAN™
Reply 96
Lol yes you are right, back on topic. Nobody who matters really cares about spelling and grammar on an informal social media forum.

You certainly cared a good deal when you thought you could score points by it. lol! This is genuinely hilarious. No wonder you want to move on.
Original post by QE2

Opposed isn't quite the right word... they've all torn out their hair for over 3 yrs trying to find a practical implementation. Poor old Sajid Javid had a full head of hair back in 2015.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by HiViz9
So... what do you prefer... IN or OUT of the EU?

Under the current conditions, in.
Original post by Guru Jason
We should just cancel brexit and be done with it. BJ won't be able to do what he wants. He'll run with his tail between his legs or be forced out and we can finally put this whole mess behind us. Lets face it, remain will out in the end.

I believe you are correct providing, parliament can avoid any direct democracy or mandates from the British people until the natural end of the parliament under the fixed term act.

The question is do you think that is likely to happen. I personally dont think the leave voters will simply die off and/or abstain from voting to allow remainers to win.

If a fair referendum was called leave would win again and if a GE was called a more pro leave parliament would be elected. It's going to happen it's just a matter of time, and how much damage remainers do deliberately to try to smear the conseque of their actions on a brexit that they have never allowed to start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending