Endometriosis - Should I go to the GP? Watch

adviceisallineed
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I know that everyone suffers from period pains but with my pains, it becomes so hard for me to get out of bed for up to 2 days, it also sometimes wakes me up in the morning and I scream with pain. Usually a hot water bottle calms me down. Due to this I am unable to attend school and my attendance gets effected. Also I’m 17 and I started having periods 5 years ago (Oct 2014) and as far as I remember these symptoms became severe in mid-2017.

I’ve only been to a doctor once about my periods. At that time I didn’t know about Endo. When I told her my symptoms she said well everyone has period pains (this is one reason which is keep on stopping me from going to the doctors as it seems silly) and she just gave me some medicine to stop heavy periods and the pains, but I told her that I can’t swallow tablets and she said well there’s no other way (there was no liquid form of that medicine). I haven’t even taken them once since I’ve got them and the pain continues.

For up to 2 days (during periods):
• Lower Back Pain
• Lower Abdominal Pain
• Diarrhoea
• Nausea
• Fatigue
• Weakness, numbness and feeling tingly on knees and feet (as if I can’t use them anymore and I’m about to fall)
------------------
For up to 3 days (during periods):
• Heavy Periods
------------------
• Periods occurrence varies from 3-5 weeks
• Periods usually last 6 days

• Periods are usually 2-3 days late (during these days I suffer from diarrhoea)
------------------
• I also get lower back pain nearly every day, but I’m not sure whether it’s a symptom or just because of the way I sleep or my posture
------------------
• I would say that my pains have worsen since mid-2017 and the period lateness began this year
------------------
So should I go to the GP about it?

I’ve also heard that some doctors don’t take it seriously, and it’s hard to find someone who would believe you and find out if you have endo, because some doctors just consider it to be something else. Another thing that I’ve heard is that it can take a long time to be diagnosed, because you can’t find a doctor who would actually believe you. I spoke to 3 ladies yesterday and the time for diagnosis was completely different for each, one was 1 year, another was 5 years and another was 20 years.

I’m a really health conscious person so I worry a lot and end up doing a lot of research and I might not even have it. But, my symptoms are really having a big impact in my life and I’m even starting uni next Sept and I’m scared in case I will also be missing out some days because of my period pains.

Sorry this is really long, but I really need help. Thank you for reading this
Last edited by adviceisallineed; 1 week ago
emilybond:)
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by adviceisallineed)
I know that everyone suffers from period pains but with my pains, it becomes so hard for me to get out of bed for up to 2 days, it also sometimes wakes me up in the morning and I scream with pain. Usually a hot water bottle calms me down. Due to this I am unable to attend school and my attendance gets effected. Also I’m 17 and I started having periods 5 years ago (Oct 2014) and as far as I remember these symptoms became severe in mid-2017.

I’ve only been to a doctor once about my periods. At that time I didn’t know about Endo. When I told her my symptoms she said well everyone has period pains (this is one reason which is keep on stopping me from going to the doctors as it seems silly) and she just gave me some medicine to stop heavy periods and the pains, but I told her that I can’t swallow tablets and she said well there’s no other way (there was no liquid form of that medicine). I haven’t even taken them once since I’ve got them and the pain continues.

For up to 2 days (during periods):
• Lower Back Pain
• Lower Abdominal Pain
• Diarrhoea
• Nausea
• Fatigue
• Weakness, numbness and feeling tingly on knees and feet (as if I can’t use them anymore and I’m about to fall)
------------------
For up to 3 days (during periods):
• Heavy Periods
------------------
• Periods occurrence varies from 3-5 weeks
• Periods usually last 6 days

• Periods are usually 2-3 days late (during these days I suffer from diarrhoea)
------------------
• I also get lower back pain nearly every day, but I’m not sure whether it’s a symptom or just because of the way I sleep or my posture
------------------
• I would say that my pains have worsen since mid-2017 and the period lateness began this year
------------------
So should I go to the GP about it?

I’ve also heard that some doctors don’t take it seriously, and it’s hard to find someone who would believe you and find out if you have endo, because some doctors just consider it to be something else. Another thing that I’ve heard is that it can take a long time to be diagnosed, because you can’t find a doctor who would actually believe you. I spoke to 3 ladies yesterday and the time for diagnosis was completely different for each, one was 1 year, another was 5 years and another was 20 years.

I’m a really health conscious person so I worry a lot and end up doing a lot of research and I might not even have it. But, my symptoms are really having a big impact in my life and I’m even starting uni next Sept and I’m scared in case I will also be missing out some days because of my period pains.

Sorry this is really long, but I really need help. Thank you for reading this
You should defo go to the gp but unfortunately not being able to swallow pills could be a problem I had similar problem to you though I wasn’t diagnosed with endometriosis in the end they gave me a birth control pill which meant that my periods became bearable - I still have to take ibuprofen on the first two days but I can live life normally (I.e. the ibuprofen now stops the pain so I can still function) you could ask about this - birth control pills are tiny to swallow like literally the smallest pills around so if you put it in like food you wouldn’t notice at all genuinely mine r like 2mm big so maybe you could look into this apart from that I think there is like a sort of like liquid thing that they can prescribe but it’s not as effective - talk to a gp maybe ask for a female one even if you have to wait longer because they will be generally more willing to take it seriously than male doctors (tho obviously some doctors are just different about it to others) because there are options
adviceisallineed
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilybond:))
You should defo go to the gp but unfortunately not being able to swallow pills could be a problem I had similar problem to you though I wasn’t diagnosed with endometriosis in the end they gave me a birth control pill which meant that my periods became bearable - I still have to take ibuprofen on the first two days but I can live life normally (I.e. the ibuprofen now stops the pain so I can still function) you could ask about this - birth control pills are tiny to swallow like literally the smallest pills around so if you put it in like food you wouldn’t notice at all genuinely mine r like 2mm big so maybe you could look into this apart from that I think there is like a sort of like liquid thing that they can prescribe but it’s not as effective - talk to a gp maybe ask for a female one even if you have to wait longer because they will be generally more willing to take it seriously than male doctors (tho obviously some doctors are just different about it to others) because there are options
thank you for your advice. were your symptoms similar? also did you have a laparoscopy?
emilybond:)
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
thank you for your advice. were your symptoms similar? also did you have a laparoscopy?
My symptoms were pretty similar minus the back pain but they gave me the pill first and then said if it was still bad they would test me for further issues but it solved my extreme pain so I didn’t need to get tested so maybe just go an ask especially because even if they don’t take you seriously (which they should) you can just ask for birth control pill and they have to give it to u bcz obviously it’s main use is birth control (even tho so many people don’t use it for that like me) which could really help if not then you could take it further
adviceisallineed
Rep:
?
Anyone else like to give there opinions please
Hazzabear
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Anyone else like to give there opinions please
If you're worried, please consult with your GP. Everyone's symptoms will be different so there's no way of comparing it online.
adviceisallineed
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hazzabear)
If you're worried, please consult with your GP. Everyone's symptoms will be different so there's no way of comparing it online.
thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (132)
17.98%
It's just nice to be back! (199)
27.11%
Not great so far... (265)
36.1%
I want to drop out! (138)
18.8%

Watched Threads