Should I keep taking my antibiotics? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have a cornea abrasion (scratched eye). Usually they're meant to heal by themselves within 3 days but mine didn't, so I was prescribed an antibiotic to put in my eye. I was told to do it for 3 days. 3 days have passed and my eye still hasn't fully healed. The leaflet says that you should take the antibiotic for 5 days (it's used to treat conjunctivitis, I'm guessing my prescription was only for 3 days because I was using it as more of a preventative than to treat an actual infection). Should I keep taking the antibiotic for an extra 2 days since my eye still hasn't healed and clearly it's safe to take it for that long? Or no because I don't actually have conjunctivitis lol?
Emily_B
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Go back to whoever did your prescription (GP, eye clinic, a another). They will do another assessment (a proper clinical one!) and be able to advise as to what to do significantly better than TSR ever will do!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Emily_B)
Go back to whoever did your prescription (GP, eye clinic, a another). They will do another assessment (a proper clinical one!) and be able to advise as to what to do significantly better than TSR ever will do!
I can't, it was given to me at A&E, I can't really pop back there lol. I'm just wondering if it's safe to keep taking the antibiotics
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I can't, it was given to me at A&E, I can't really pop back there lol. I'm just wondering if it's safe to keep taking the antibiotics
Phone 111 and see what they say.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
Phone 111 and see what they say.
theres no need my question must have a simple answer to it i just cant find it on google
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
theres no need my question must have a simple answer to it i just cant find it on google
111 is exactly for that sort of thing
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
111 is exactly for that sort of thing
PRSOM
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Meh, with my zero medical knowledge, the extra 2 days sounds unlikely to harm you, but it's best to clarify and assume they said 3 days for a reason. I'd suspect just because you don't feel 100% healed on day 3 doesn't really indicate whether the dose has done what it was meant to or not.
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If it was me, I would go and see an optician for advice.
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You need to have your eye re-examined. It should have improved significantly after 3 days. Go back to A&E, or an eye casualty if you have one near by.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Google is not a medical professional. Only do what a trained medical professional says. Google does not take into account your medical history and circumstance. Please seek medical advice rather than advice from the internet. I agree with others, call 111 - they might suggest you go to the GP and maybe be able to get you in for an appointment quicker
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
111 or a pharmacist can help with these minor medical issues
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (132)
17.89%
It's just nice to be back! (201)
27.24%
Not great so far... (266)
36.04%
I want to drop out! (139)
18.83%

Watched Threads