The Student Room Group

A Level Choices. HELP!

So, I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

I don't know if the subjects that I want to do are 'soft' or 'hard' and if they will impact my chances of getting into Oxbridge or a Russell group uni to study History or something similar. Also, is it better if I took 4 A-levels?
Here are my choices as of now:
- History
- Classics
- Italian
- Politics (4th choice)
Reply 1
Original post by Rixxy

I don't know if the subjects that I want to do are 'soft' or 'hard' and if they will impact my chances of getting into Oxbridge or a Russell group uni to study History or something similar. Also, is it better if I took 4 A-levels?
- History
- Classics
- Italian
- Politics (4th choice)

Taking 3 or 4 A-levels doesn’t matter - as Oxford, Cambridge and all of the top universities specify on their websites - and a large number of successful applicants only take 3. That being said, it might be a good idea to start with 4 and then if there’s a subject you don’t enjoy so much, you’ll be able to drop it. Or if you find taking all 4 fine then you can continue with them. A-levels are very challenging though, so it’s important to take subjects you’re passionate about and not to overwhelm yourself. Plus, AAA is always better than AABB for example.

All of these sound like great options for applying to history, and they are well respected subjects to have. If you like English Lit, that may also be a very good subject to consider taking. My friend got into Durham for history with History, Politics and English Language so your combination is just as great, if not better!!

Best of luck with everything, and if you have any questions about taking 4 subjects or just A-levels in general then I’m happy to help where I can :smile:
Original post by Rixxy

- History
- Classics
- Italian
- Politics (4th choice)

Those subjects sound good if you ask me.
It might be a good idea to start with 4 and then if there’s a subject you don’t enjoy so much or are struggling with, you’ll be able to drop it. Or if you find taking all 4 fine then you can continue with them.
4 A levels really aren't necessary. But those choices look strong for a History application!

Quick Reply

Latest