Turn on thread page Beta

University Choices, can't decide! watch

ReputationRep:
    I take the average of 2003/2004 Times University Tables, others will use other guides, but

St Andrews 7+2=9/2=4.5
    Edinburgh 8+5=13/2=6.5
    Dundee 36+40=76/2=38

Close thing really between St Andrews/Edinburgh so I'd study the two Universites to see which you like the look of best.

Don't know about Edinburgh grades, but my mate applied for compsci last year to St Andrews and had to meet BBC. (He went to York with a AAB)

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=MrsJones]I take the average of 2003/2004 Times University Tables, others will use other guides, but

St Andrews 7+2=9/2=4.5
    Edinburgh 8+5=13/2=6.5
    Dundee 36+40=76/2=38

Close thing really between St Andrews/Edinburgh so I'd study the two Universites to see which you like the look of best.

It's unwise to use short -term domestic league tables as a guide to university quality. Over the long haul Edinburgh has a much better track record than St.A, an institution which frankly did not mean a great deal to most people until a certain royal offspring went there, and guess what? After that its league table performance suddenly improved. Who'd have guessed that Prince Willy was that clever?

ReputationRep:
    You don't need maths A level to do comp sci at Durham. Doubt that's of any use to you though...

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I think the year before it was fourth. I have no other data to base my opinion on.

However, I'm not into conspiracy theories. The only thing I can think Willy might have done is attract higher qualified students. These students will not have graduated yet, so they cannot have affected the tables, and if they have attracted higher qualified students then why are they offering BBC for compsci?

But I try not to argue a case I an not certain of, so I'll leave it there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    dundee was scotlands top uni this year (according to the times)... st andrews is an incredibly dull place.

lancaster is really good for comp sci, there's loads of money going into the dept at the mo (my bf is on that course)

lou xxx
    It was actually given the award of "Scottish University of the Year" for its improvement rather than for being the absolute best. It is definitely a University on the way up but not yet ready to challenge the St. Andrews/Edinburgh domination (though in certain individual subjects it has a superior reputation, I believe).

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.