What happens at the GP for a UTI? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I think I have a UTI, I have most symptoms e.g needing to pee really bad even when I haven’t drank a lot, pain when peeing, pain in the urethra, cloudy urine that has a smell etc.

I noticed symptoms around 2 months ago but have had UTIs before and they’ve gone by themselves just when I drink enough water. This one hasn’t gone and I feel like it’s getting worse. I know I have to go to my GP but I don’t know what to expect.

I want to go in on Monday (2 days from now) but am due to start my period tomorrow, will they still be able to test me if I’m on my period? I use tampons if that’s relevant.

I’m really worried it’s going to develop into a kidney infection so I want to go ASAP.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
You should go regardless if you are on your period, they will ask for a urine sample and test if for you right there. You’ll most likely be given some antibiotics to take for 3 or 4 days until it clears up, in the mean time perhaps take some ibuprofen which calms down the inflammation and drink cranberry juice, it does wonders🤗🤗🤗
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
You should go regardless if you are on your period, they will ask for a urine sample and test if for you right there. You’ll most likely be given some antibiotics to take for 3 or 4 days until it clears up, in the mean time perhaps take some ibuprofen which calms down the inflammation and drink cranberry juice, it does wonders🤗🤗🤗
Thank you so much, I get really stressed when I have to go to the GP and I’m too embarrassed to tell my parents so I’m pretty much going at this alone :/
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've mostly just been asked a few questions and given a prescription for antibiotics. They've only asked for a urine sample once. They can still check it for infection even if you are on your period - just tell them you are on.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
I've mostly just been asked a few questions and given a prescription for antibiotics. They've only asked for a urine sample once. They can still check it for infection even if you are on your period - just tell them you are on.
Thank you so much
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think I have a UTI, I have most symptoms e.g needing to pee really bad even when I haven’t drank a lot, pain when peeing, pain in the urethra, cloudy urine that has a smell etc.

I noticed symptoms around 2 months ago but have had UTIs before and they’ve gone by themselves just when I drink enough water. This one hasn’t gone and I feel like it’s getting worse. I know I have to go to my GP but I don’t know what to expect.

I want to go in on Monday (2 days from now) but am due to start my period tomorrow, will they still be able to test me if I’m on my period? I use tampons if that’s relevant.

I’m really worried it’s going to develop into a kidney infection so I want to go ASAP.
You'll pee in a cup, they'll test it, and give you the necessary antibiotics
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
yeah get yourself to a doctor... I've only had a UTI once but Jesus it went from 0 To 100 FAST... they can still test you but if your symptoms are clear they may just give you the antibiotics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (132)
17.89%
It's just nice to be back! (201)
27.24%
Not great so far... (266)
36.04%
I want to drop out! (139)
18.83%

Watched Threads