The Student Room Group

Rounding up?

In a GCSE Maths paper when giving an answer on a question about, wages and tax%. Is it protocol to round up an answer even if it shows no mention of it in the actual question?
It depends, if my answer has more than 2 dp, then i would round up to 1 dp eg 2.68 to 2.7. However if you get an answer that has 1.dp then I would leave it, I would round it up. But it does depend what answer you get
Depends how many decimal places the answer has. If your calculator shows 12.62850572 then yes I would round (usually to 2 or 3dp) and include what you rounded to. Just put (to 2d.p or 3 s.f) next to your answer. During my exams I didn’t round to whole numbers unless asked, always 2d.p or 1d.p.

Go through a few mark schemes for your exam board and see how many decimal points they have, and use that as a guide.
Reply 3
Thanks for that. The answer was $396.85, in the mark scheme the answer was $397. as there was nothing about rounding up I wonder if I'd lose a mark for that?
Original post by ScottEdden
Thanks for that. The answer was $396.85, in the mark scheme the answer was $397. as there was nothing about rounding up I wonder if I'd lose a mark for that?

Original post by ScottEdden

probably not there's only like 15c difference so I'm sure they'll now that you did it right as long as you show workings out right
Reply 5
Cool, thanks👍
I used to base my D.P or Significant figures off however many there are in the numbers in the questions. Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest