The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Students in uni of Southampton

Hey guys. I’m looking for someone currently studying at Southampton (preferably studying Marketing there).

I would like to know more about the accommodation, whether it is mandatory to pay for one or I can rent somewhere outside the campus. Also would you give me an advice, what did you do?
Tagging a Southampton accommodation expert :ninja:
@CheeseIsVeg
I can tell you if you don't apply for accommodation and instead rent somewhere that will be fine although there might be a form to fill out or something to say you're doing that :yep:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Either or... the Uni can provide you with a list of recommended private rentals or you can find your own. Most however find it helpful to start off in a hall whenever possible.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by alex.borisova
Hey guys. I’m looking for someone currently studying at Southampton (preferably studying Marketing there).

I would like to know more about the accommodation, whether it is mandatory to pay for one or I can rent somewhere outside the campus. Also would you give me an advice, what did you do?

Hi I'm a 3rd Year Chemistry student at Southampton :hello:

It's not mandatory to pay for University accommodation (in halls), however it is recommended for new students since everyone around you will be a first year, settling into Southampton etc. it's a lovely way to get to know people :yep:

There are also postgraduate only halls or area of halls as well!

Alternatively, there is a wide variety of private accommodation. Be this private halls (VITA, hampton etc.) or just houses around the campus. Depending on your course will depend on which part of Southampton you may want to live close to.
ie: if it's just normal business marketing (highfield campus area) if it's design marketing (winchester campus area)

Check out SASSH - approved landlords etc. and the University of Southampton Website - under accommodation there is lots of advice for private accommodation.

If you're going to be on an exchange etc. a visiting student (you are best applying for halls as private landlords don't tend to do short-term lets). Otherwise, most contracts are for the entire year. (just to let you know)
There is a deposit required to secure a private house (this is usually the first month's rent)

There is also a Southampton Housing Page on Facebook that is quite good for finding flatmates etc...

Hope this helps :smile:
Cheese
You can live in the private market from the start if you want; as @CheeseIsVeg says though, there are potentially benefits to beginning in halls.

I ended up living in a private rental for first year when I was at Southampton, with other students at the university (all PhDs) due to a friend of the family working in the department of a PhD who had defended and was leaving and advertised her room as available (which then got passed on to me by said friend of the family). It had the benefit of being quite cheap and possibly nearer the uni than many of the halls, although I didn't get to know as many people from my "cohort" as a result.
Thank you guys for the info. It really helped me!💕

Quick Reply

Latest