The Student Room Group

Not happy at my uni

So I'm commuting and going to Warwick uni and I'm not having a good time to be honest. I have made friends but I feel like they're more acquaintancs than friends and I feel like I'm more of an outsider in the group. Cliques are also already forming and I just in general feel out of place.

I haven't met anyone at all that commutes and no one seems to rly want to go out and do stuff either like grab a meal in Coventry which is only a direct bus ride away from Warwick uni itself. Also everyone lives on campus and goes home during frees and I can't exactly go.home and there's no campus activities to do or places to eat, there's on uni restaurants which are very expensive. After 5 the buses which are already crap slow down to once an hour and stop at 8 which makes it hard for me to do society stuff that tends to be in the evening or go.out at night and my parents work at night so they can't pick me up. I also feel like I'm.missing out on that uni experience and I'm also the only asain person on my course and I feel like in general I'm just an outsider. Don't get me wrong everyone's nice and all and I have no problems with hanging around ppl of other cultures and such but being the only one in my minority kinda sucks and I haven't met any south Asians like myself. Being a week in already it maybe too late to transfer to Leicester uni and also accomadation might be hard to find. I just don't know what to do. And also Warwick is prestigious is it stupid for me to.downgrade unis.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by aisha_1234
So I'm commuting and going to Warwick uni and I'm not having a good time to be honest. I have made friends but I feel like they're more acquaintancs than friends and I feel like I'm more of an outsider in the group. Cliques are also already forming and I just in general feel out of place.

I haven't met anyone at all that commutes and no one seems to rly want to go out and do stuff either like grab a meal in Coventry which is only a direct bus ride away from Warwick uni itself. Also everyone lives on campus and goes home during frees and I can't exactly go.home and there's no campus activities to do or places to eat, there's on uni restaurants which are very expensive. After 5 the buses which are already crap slow down to once an hour and stop at 8 which makes it hard for me to do society stuff that tends to be in the evening or go.out at night and my parents work at night so they can't pick me up. I also feel like I'm.missing out on that uni experience and I'm also the only asain person on my course and I feel like in general I'm just an outsider. Don't get me wrong everyone's nice and all and I have no problems with hanging around ppl of other cultures and such but being the only one in my minority kinda sucks and I haven't met any south Asians like myself. Being a week in already it maybe too late to transfer to Leicester uni and also accomadation might be hard to find. I just don't know what to do. And also Warwick is prestigious is it stupid for me to.downgrade unis.

It sounds like your settling in problems are not really to do with being Asian but more to do with the fact that you are commuting from home whereas most people live on campus in Year 1. You could join the Asian society to meet more people but your other problems won't disappear overnight. Is there any way you could apply for accomodation on campus, since you talk about getting accomodation at Leicester if you transferred there?
Reply 2
Hey!
I agree with the both commenter that your issue seems to stem from the commuting to Uni rather than ethnicity. But again make sure you join any societies that are available for your time requirements. Lots of of them run before 8pm and I'm sure if you really were interested in something after that Über could help? That's money dependent of course.

I started at Warwick this year too and I feel the same that most people are just acquaintances right now. You just have to throw yourself into stuff perhaps you wouldn't do otherwise. I went on a barcrawl with a society that I knew no one on and it was extremely scary. However looking back I had loads of fun and met 2 guys who I may hang out with again.

If you don't mind me asking where are you commuting from? Can't be Coventry or Leamington as they have buses every hour of the day so I assume it's somewhere smaller? Idk but don't give up on ways to get home after 8, if it's not very far consider a bike?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending