The Student Room Group

Resitting A- Levels

I got CCE in my a levels (Econ,History,maths) last year and am going to retake 2 of my a levels this year. I wanted to know if universities will Accept me if i have 2 new A levels from 2020 and one form 2019?
Original post by swizz22
I got CCE in my a levels (Econ,History,maths) last year and am going to retake 2 of my a levels this year. I wanted to know if universities will Accept me if i have 2 new A levels from 2020 and one form 2019?

Yes, but you should always check before applying what their resit policy is. Lower down unis and they wont care. Top unis may. I suspect the unis you will be applying to wont have a problem but check.
lots of top unis won't care either except for maybe russell london universities & oxbridge. lots of them will allow resits but only with extenuating circumstances and if you retake ALL three a levels so they're done in one sitting. that aside unis are lenient about resits.

what course hun & what potential unis hun.
Reply 3
Original post by cheerIeader
lots of top unis won't care either except for maybe russell london universities & oxbridge. lots of them will allow resits but only with extenuating circumstances and if you retake ALL three a levels so they're done in one sitting. that aside unis are lenient about resits.

what course hun & what potential unis hun.

Ecoonomics potentially at queen mary or royal holloway. Realistically i think i can achieve an A and a B in my resits so i'll have ABC overall. However, im worried about have two a levels from 2020 and one from 2019
Original post by swizz22
Ecoonomics potentially at queen mary or royal holloway. Realistically i think i can achieve an A and a B in my resits so i'll have ABC overall. However, im worried about have two a levels from 2020 and one from 2019

don't worry about that, they won't mind and you don't even need to explicitly state it in the future to employers (unless they specifically ask for dates or they check them).

a-levels are linear now which means your new grade simply replaces your old one. in that sense, you'd have ABC as your final grades and you'd be set. you're capable of doing this so just put in the work babe so much faith in you. xx
Reply 5
don't worry about that, they won't mind and you don't even need to explicitly state it in the future to employers (unless they specifically ask for dates or they check them).

a-levels are linear now which means your new grade simply replaces your old one. in that sense, you'd have ABC as your final grades and you'd be set. you're capable of doing this so just put in the work babe so much faith in you. xx

Thank youu. I know a lot of unis allow retakes i'm just wondering about me retaking 2 subjects and having 1 from the previous year will that be a problem for getting in to uni?
Original post by swizz22
Thank youu. I know a lot of unis allow retakes i'm just wondering about me retaking 2 subjects and having 1 from the previous year will that be a problem for getting in to uni?

no it won't be a problem. i'm currently on a gap year retaking only one subject because i have an A & B and literally 99% of unis & russell groups are fine with me excluding oxbridge & maybe london ones (unless there are extenuating circumstances).

e.g exeter, sheffield, birmingham, liverpool etc should be completely fine with it. any unis in particular you want me to look into for you? x
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by swizz22

Its not a problem, many courses & unis accept students with resits.

-Obviously now some courses & unis will be off the table, unless you have a valid extenuating circumstance.
-I would say you should just be a bit more diligent when selecting a course to make sure it is suitable, but with common sense this should be fine.
Reply 8
I

Original post by mnot
Its not a problem, many courses & unis accept students with resits.

-Obviously now some courses & unis will be off the table, unless you have a valid extenuating circumstance.
-I would say you should just be a bit more diligent when selecting a course to make sure it is suitable, but with common sense this should be fine.

I understand many unis allow resits. My question is more do they allow you to carry over one a level and resit 2 because most people resit all of them?
Original post by swizz22
I

I understand many unis allow resits. My question is more do they allow you to carry over one a level and resit 2 because most people resit all of them?

I suspect it will be fine for average & below Unis, for courses which demand a higher workload it may be a problem as the uni should ensure you can manage both the difficult & quantity, however in all honesty I suspect it wont be a problem as its likely you wont be targeting these unis realistically (these courses normally require A*/As occasionally the odd B).

I would say doing economics at QMUL maybe a stretch, but you can always call/email the admissions tutor and ask there opinion directly!!!

Its also important for you to have a strong plan in place to ensure you can achieve the ABC you are hoping for as this seems quite a step up from CCE, and you will also need a very cautious backup option imo
Reply 10
Original post by mnot
I suspect it will be fine for average & below Unis, for courses which demand a higher workload it may be a problem as the uni should ensure you can manage both the difficult & quantity, however in all honesty I suspect it wont be a problem as its likely you wont be targeting these unis realistically (these courses normally require A*/As occasionally the odd B).

I would say doing economics at QMUL maybe a stretch, but you can always call/email the admissions tutor and ask there opinion directly!!!

Its also important for you to have a strong plan in place to ensure you can achieve the ABC you are hoping for as this seems quite a step up from CCE, and you will also need a very cautious backup option imo

Yeah i hear what your saying i'll probably try to go to royal holloway
Reply 11
no it won't be a problem. i'm currently on a gap year retaking only one subject because i have an A & B and literally 99% of unis & russell groups are fine with me excluding oxbridge & maybe london ones (unless there are extenuating circumstances).

e.g exeter, sheffield, birmingham, liverpool etc should be completely fine with it. any unis in particular you want me to look into for you? x

Thank You! I'm thinking of applying to Queen mary or Royal hollow as firm then probably something lower as insurance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending