Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm in my first year of university but I'm curious what exactly is a dissertation and can you writ your dissertation on any topic you choose or does it have to be related to your course?

Thank you!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm in my first year of university but I'm curious what exactly is a dissertation and can you writ your dissertation on any topic you choose or does it have to be related to your course?

Thank you!
A dissertation is like a very large essay. Essays are usually 2,00 or 3,000 or 4,000 words, dissertations are usually 10,000, 15,000 even 25,000 words. The challenge is that it takes much more research and organisation and you have to develop a more sophisticated argument in a dissertation than in an essay.

If you have a dissertation as part of your 3rd years course structure, then yes, of course it has to be about something related to the course. But you get all the information about it towards the end of your second year, so you can think of ideas for a topic, and then there is training in the 3rd year on how to structure the piece, how to reference, how to do a literature review etc.

The terms dissertation and thesis are often used interchangeably, and their use in the US is often different to their use in the UK. Strictly speaking (in the UK) a dissertation is just a long piece of academic writing such as you would do for final year undergrad or Masters. A thesis is what you write for a PhD, where you put forward a hypothesis, and then provide evidence for and against that hypothesis. However, there are many interpretations of this, and for most purposes, thesis and dissertation are used interchangeably.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (13)
14.94%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (17)
19.54%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
18.39%

Watched Threads