The Student Room Group

doing an extra gcse subject

i have a question
if i were to do urdu gcse as an extra subject and get a grade 9 and then flop german gcse (which i do from the school) would it affect my grades?
because for the baccularete you need to do one language and im doing all the other stuff.. would it affect my chances for 6th form or uni?
Original post by Lost_Sereniity
i have a question
if i were to do urdu gcse as an extra subject and get a grade 9 and then flop german gcse (which i do from the school) would it affect my grades?
because for the baccularete you need to do one language and im doing all the other stuff.. would it affect my chances for 6th form or uni?

It won't affect university (depending on which universities you want to apply for), but there's no point taking a GCSE if you're deliberately going to fail it. Talk to your school about your options.
Original post by DrawTheLine
It won't affect university (depending on which universities you want to apply for), but there's no point taking a GCSE if you're deliberately going to fail it. Talk to your school about your options.

what if i am forced to do german gcse by my school but i want to do urdu gcse outside of school. but since i am doing urdu gcse and probably going to get a 9,is there any point focusing on german
Original post by Lost_Sereniity
what if i am forced to do german gcse by my school but i want to do urdu gcse outside of school. but since i am doing urdu gcse and probably going to get a 9,is there any point focusing on german

It won't look particularly good if you fail a GCSE, and have to explain why to potential employers etc. You can't exactly say "I didn't want to do it so I deliberately failed it". Like I said, speak to your school about it. You can do Urdu GCSE privately, but it's worth still trying to do well in German. It'll look good for you to have 2 language GCSEs passed at a good level.

Quick Reply

Latest