The Student Room Group

My gym journey

Ok so I have been going gym since april. i believed that I was skinny fat as I didn’t look that fat but my body fat was around 27%. I weighed around 70-75kg. What I was initially doing was doing a small deficit while doing weights of course so I maintain muscle aswell as lose fat. Then i got sick and could barely eat anything for 1-2 days so I had a MASSIVE deficit meaning I lost a lot of strength as well as weight. I have carried this small deficit on and I weighed myself yesterday and I weigh 64kg. I’m 17years old and i think that if i start weighing less it won’t be that healthy so I’m unsure on what to do e.g bulk or maintain my calories? Any advice as I want to gain strength and get rid of this body fat.
Surely u must have lost fat and gained strength if you were in a deficit with the right macros?
But what where your macros and calories like?
also what's your height?
And yes losing too much weight won't be beneficial for you at such a young age.
Reply 2
Original post by kurro
Surely u must have lost fat and gained strength if you were in a deficit with the right macros?
But what where your macros and calories like?
also what's your height?
And yes losing too much weight won't be beneficial for you at such a young age.

Yeah definitely I believe that I have gained strength and muscle but I feel like I could have gained it faster. I went abroad and was sick so I didn’t eat anything for a day or two therefore I lost weight and strength very quickly then. After that, i was on a small deficit and going gym. Although I feel like my progress has been a bit slow and I could’ve progressed much quicker but not sure. I track my calories using my fitness pal. It says my maintenance is around 2000-2100 so i aim for around 1600-1800 calories daily. A few odd occasions I’ve surpassed or went too low but besides that I do meet my calories. I do sometimes go over my fat intake frequently but try not to. My height is 5’8.5
If you are comfortable with the amount of fat you have and don't mind gaining a little more then lean bulk. Don't increase your cals too much yet, maybe 300+ for now
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by kurro
If you are comfortable with the amount of fat you have and don't mind gaining a little more then lean bulk. Don't increase your cals too much yet, maybe 300+ for now

Yeah may increase it, may go on a small surplus to help gain strength but I know I will get fat as well
Original post by cbains02
Yeah may increase it, may go on a small surplus to help gain strength but I know I will get fat as well

If you go on a strict lean bulk you will still gain fat regardless, happens to almost everyone. Just try not to have cheat days, maybe cheat meals every few weeks.
You will see strength gains faster and you will see your size getting bigger so it will more manageable as you will see a difference quicker than being in a deficit.

Quick Reply

Latest