Gap year feeling **** about it

Watch this thread
TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is there anyone else who feels as if it is getting nowhere?

I am trying to find a job and I am applying to be able to make the most of it.
I am trying to save up to be able to enjoy myself and go out.

I have plans for my gap year but I literally can't find a job that will hire me.

I am just sitting at home watching TV shows and feeling **** staying at home doing nothing.
zoyasaucee
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
For the time being, you could always try volunteering at a elderly home. You might not be suited to it but my older brother did that and he learnt loads and he was able to tell his uni what he did in his gap year too
Of course, get a job and go out and enjoy yourself but even things like elderly home volunteering, you learn LOADSSSS and some old people are acc nice lmao
Diplomatic
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Stay positive and keep putting in the effort to achieve your plans.

My gap year started with not hearing back from job applications for the summer. Finally got one in September/October, worked for a few months and went travelling in Asia for a few more months until uni started. Amazing experience.

During periods like this, it might be good to learn a new skill, maybe a language or a sport or how to code. Something actually productive will put you in a better headspace.
Last edited by Diplomatic; 2 years ago
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
(Original post by Patagonia)
Stay positive and keep putting in the effort to achieve your plans.

My gap year started with not hearing back from job applications for the summer. Finally got one in September/October, worked for a few months and went travelling in Asia for a few more months until uni started. Amazing experience.

During periods like this, it might be good to learn a new skill, maybe a language or a sport or how to code. Something actually productive will put you in a better headspace.
What job did you get? If you don’t mind me asking?

I have tried retail and tuition and they aren’t getting back to me.
cheerIeader
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
yes but i'm retaking an a-level so it's even worse. OH MY GOODNESS SOMEONE RELIEVE ME FROM THIS DEPRESSION PLEASE. I CANT BEAR IT ANOTHER DAY LONGER. ;(
TheAlchemistress
Rep:
Bump
topazz
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cheerIeader)
yes but i'm retaking an a-level so it's even worse. OH MY GOODNESS SOMEONE RELIEVE ME FROM THIS DEPRESSION PLEASE. I CANT BEAR IT ANOTHER DAY LONGER. ;(
loool i feel you, im retaking 3 a levels
cheerIeader
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by topazz)
loool i feel you, im retaking 3 a levels
have you reapplied to uni etc hunny? x what grades subjects etc hun
St George's, University of London
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Discrepancy)

I have plans for my gap year but I literally can't find a job that will hire me.

I am just sitting at home watching TV shows and feeling **** staying at home doing nothing.
Hi!

I know exactly how you are feeling. I felt the same when I took my gap year. All I would do is sit around and eat and watch TV and it really didn't feel good. We all need a purpose and it's not great when you're not getting a positive response.

I would encourage you to volunteer somewhere. This adds to your CV first of all, and it also gives you some meaning and purpose. Whilst you are doing this, apply for jobs. Please don't get disheartened if you don't get responses, just keep applying again and again. Trust me something will click and you will be enjoying your plans that you made in no time.

I really hope things work out for you. And if they don't, speak to someone about how you are feeling. The worst thing you can do is keep to yourself.

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
St. George's
topazz
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cheerIeader)
have you reapplied to uni etc hunny? x what grades subjects etc hun
So I'm resitting bio chem and maths and got bbc looool and applied for dentistry wbu??
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Discrepancy)

Hi Discrepancy

After studying at university for a year and much consideration, I made the choice to take a gap year.

After interrupting my studies, I was confused and unsure of what to do about my future. Therefore, I took it upon myself to gain some work experience in different roles such as retail, hospitality and social media. This enabled me try out different career paths I could possibly pursue. Once I started in my role as a Social Media assistant, straight away I knew I would love a career in the Marketing industry.

I then decided to return to university with a change of course to study an undergraduate degree Business Management and Marketing. Fast forward three years later and I graduated!

I would recommend that you make the most of your gap year. There are many different things you can do to such as; gain work experience, participate in voluntary work, travel, get a job to earn money and save up, take up a new skill or hobby or take the time to decide what you wish to do in the future.

If you have any further questions about my experience taking a gap year just send me a PM!

I hope this helps!

Amy :thumbsup:
Last edited by Liverpool Hope University; 2 years ago
gluttonyyy
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hi Discrepancy

After studying at university for a year and much consideration, I made the choice to take a gap year.

After interrupting my studies, I was confused and unsure of what to do about my future. Therefore, I took it upon myself to gain some work experience in different roles such as retail, hospitality and social media. This enabled me try out different career paths I could possibly pursue. Once I started in my role as a Social Media assistant, straight away I knew I would love a career in the Marketing industry.

I then decided to return to university with a change of course to study an undergraduate degree Business Management and Marketing. Fast forward three years later and I graduated!

I would recommend that you make the most of your gap year. There are many different things you can do to such as; gain work experience, participate in voluntary work, travel, get a job to earn money and save up, take up a new skill or hobby or take the time to decide what you wish to do in the future.

If you have any further questions about my experience taking a gap year just send me a PM!

I hope this helps!

Amy :thumbsup:
Hi, how did you find your business management course if you don't mind me asking? Considering you've been through it and I'm thinking of applying
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by justarosexo)
Hi, how did you find your business management course if you don't mind me asking? Considering you've been through it and I'm thinking of applying
Hi

Just to give you some background.. I had not studied Business before at GCSE or A Level so it was all completely new to me. We learned from the basics with an introduction to the subject right through to advanced Business Management. I absolutely loved my three years studying Business Management and Marketing at Hope.

Some of the topics I studied included; Human Resource Management, Project Management, Business Strategy, Financial Accounting, Globalisation, International Business and Economics.

Within the Marketing side of my degree I learned about Advertising, Market Research, Customer Buying Behavior, Social Media Marketing, New Product Development, Neuro-Marketing and many more.

I studied Business as a combination degree with Marketing but you can also choose to study it as a single degree or with another subject you are interested in such as Sport & Physical Education, Law, Maths, Nutrition and Music Production (to name a few).

There are also lots of different work experience opportunities within the Business and Marketing field. Throughout my degree, I undertook a placement within Crown Plaza hotel as a Social Media Coordinator. This gave me lots of experience and knowledge to add to my CV and enhance my degree.

A Business degree opens so many doors for students as there are many different career paths to go down.

If you have any other questions about the course offered at Hope or student life in general feel free to ask

Amy :shakehand:
gluttonyyy
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hi

Just to give you some background.. I had not studied Business before at GCSE or A Level so it was all completely new to me. We learned from the basics with an introduction to the subject right through to advanced Business Management. I absolutely loved my three years studying Business Management and Marketing at Hope.

Some of the topics I studied included; Human Resource Management, Project Management, Business Strategy, Financial Accounting, Globalisation, International Business and Economics.

Within the Marketing side of my degree I learned about Advertising, Market Research, Customer Buying Behavior, Social Media Marketing, New Product Development, Neuro-Marketing and many more.

I studied Business as a combination degree with Marketing but you can also choose to study it as a single degree or with another subject you are interested in such as Sport & Physical Education, Law, Maths, Nutrition and Music Production (to name a few).

There are also lots of different work experience opportunities within the Business and Marketing field. Throughout my degree, I undertook a placement within Crown Plaza hotel as a Social Media Coordinator. This gave me lots of experience and knowledge to add to my CV and enhance my degree.

A Business degree opens so many doors for students as there are many different career paths to go down.

If you have any other questions about the course offered at Hope or student life in general feel free to ask

Amy :shakehand:
thanks so much, I'm also in the same boat as I haven't studied it before so its all new to me, just hoping I enjoy it and I'm looking forward to the placement
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by justarosexo)
thanks so much, I'm also in the same boat as I haven't studied it before so its all new to me, just hoping I enjoy it and I'm looking forward to the placement
Your more than welcome!

I would recommend that if you are interested in going to university, you attend the Open Days of the universities you are interested in. They are the perfect opportunity to take a sneak peek at what a University has to offer. At most universities you can explore the campus, find out more about the courses and talk to current students.

Open Days are designed to help you make a decision on what you would like to study, where you would like to study and find out what the university can offer you.

Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (193)
42.14%
The paper was reasonable (202)
44.1%
Not feeling great about that exam... (39)
8.52%
It was TERRIBLE (24)
5.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed