Muslim male, living with parents. Parents want to marry me soon, and live together. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am a 23 male, last child living with my muslim parents (I have lived with my parents my whole life). I am currently doing a masters degree.

I recently found out that my parents want to marry me, possibly after the masters (in an arranged marriage as it is in islam, which I am ok with). However, I am not ready to get married, I want to first secure a job after my masters degree, work for a while so I can get my own house and then get married. I just want to get out, I have lived with my parents long enough, I don't want to spend the rest of my life with them in the same house as well.

Now, for a non-mulsim, you would just simply say, talk to my parents and explain. But it's not that easy with a muslim family. I am expected to live with my parents and get married, and continue living with them.

Is there any muslims, or anyone who suggests what to do here.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
I am a muslim too but I think your situation is to do more with culture of living with parents rather than the religion.
My sincere advise would be get a job and tell your parents your plan. Also, about the marriage; just tell them.

Ps: Don't shout at your parents or curse them. Aim for jannah by abiding by their rules instead of doing your own thing and getting temporary satisfaction in this world and hell im the next.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am a 23 male, last child living with my muslim parents (I have lived with my parents my whole life). I am currently doing a masters degree.

I recently found out that my parents want to marry me, possibly after the masters (in an arranged marriage as it is in islam, which I am ok with). However, I am not ready to get married, I want to first secure a job after my masters degree, work for a while so I can get my own house and then get married. I just want to get out, I have lived with my parents long enough, I don't want to spend the rest of my life with them in the same house as well.

Now, for a non-mulsim, you would just simply say, talk to my parents and explain. But it's not that easy with a muslim family. I am expected to live with my parents and get married, and continue living with them.

Is there any muslims, or anyone who suggests what to do here.
It's probably not because your family is Muslim, it's your culture
zombie2233
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nothing to do with Islam, it’s your culture.
username4988940
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Arrange marriage is not part of Islam. End of the day it your decision.
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Would you parents not think it admirable that you want to earn some money first before getting married? Could you not put that sort of spin to it - that you want to be able to support your wife rather than have them support the two of you?
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's your culture that's shackled you. I don't get why you're bringing Islam into this.
verycoolperson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
just tell them straight forward that u dont wanna
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
compromise - just say "Yes, I agree with your plan for the marriage, but I want to wait 1 more year so that I can secure a job and somewhere to live, then we can look at marriage"

It would take a pretty unreasonable person or exceptional circumstances for them not to agree to do exactly what they want, but just wait a year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads