The Student Room Group

How hard is it to intercalate at medical school?

Some university websites say that intercalation is competitive or "If you attain a good standard in examinations" you can intercalate. Should I be worried about medical schools that say this or will I almost certainly have a chance to intercalate if I want to?

Many thanks in advance,

With gratitude,

The Sudanese Prince,

Scroll to see replies

Depends on the medical school
E-mail them and ask how many people are allowed to intercalate
Some uni's have cut off points-like you need to do so well in the exams to be able to or be in the top x % of the year. Will vary from uni to uni
Original post by AzureCeleste
Depends on the medical school
E-mail them and ask how many people are allowed to intercalate
Some uni's have cut off points-like you need to do so well in the exams to be able to or be in the top x % of the year. Will vary from uni to uni

Thank you for the reply,

If I am unable to intercalate at my "current" medical school, could I intercalate somewhere else, and if so, what would be the consequences of that?
Original post by SudanesePrince
Thank you for the reply,

If I am unable to intercalate at my "current" medical school, could I intercalate somewhere else, and if so, what would be the consequences of that?

As far as I am aware no.
You would need to be allowed to intercalate at your med school to intercalate elsewhere. People can intercalate at other uni's (my uni would allow that) but you would probably need to be allowed to intercalate anyway at your school.
I'd e-mail the uni's and ask them details surrounding it as it will vary from uni to uni
Thank you for the reply,

Aren’t you year 13?
Some university websites say that intercalation is competitive or "If you attain a good standard in examinations" you can intercalate. Should I be worried about medical schools that say this or will I almost certainly have a chance to intercalate if I want to?

Many thanks in advance,

With gratitude,

The Sudanese Prince,

Entirely depends on med school.
Thank you for the reply,

I've never heard of that no.
Original post by DGeorge13
Aren’t you year 13?

I am, but I am trying to work out if some medical schools make it harder to intercalate than others. I don't want to be in the position of wanting to intercalate, but being unable to because I couldn't get a place.
I am, but I am trying to work out if some medical schools make it harder to intercalate than others. I don't want to be in the position of wanting to intercalate, but being unable to because I couldn't get a place.

Fair enough - I think if you travel through enough websites/ specifications/ pdfs you can find out - good luck
I was unsure about this too and asked around and a lot of medical students said that in most unis people get the opportunity to intercalate and it doesn’t depend on what marks they got in their previous exams in the past years (I don’t know how true this is? Probably depends on the uni). Some unis make it compulsory to intercalate and some give you the option. If you want to intercalate at another uni it’s difficult I heard and usually you have to have a certain percentage in exam scores at your uni to be able to apply to intercalate and elsewhere
Original post by DGeorge13
Fair enough - I think if you travel through enough websites/ specifications/ pdfs you can find out - good luck

Woah that was fast! Yeah, I have dug around a bit, but it feels like I am over complicating things, it's really annoying having to look at all the websites and try and gauge what the medical schools are saying about how difficult it is to intercalate etc. For example, Birmingham says something along the lines of "if you attain a good standard across your exams you can intercalate" But how am I supposed to know if I could reach those good standards? etc.
Reply 11
Woah that was fast! Yeah, I have dug around a bit, but it feels like I am over complicating things, it's really annoying having to look at all the websites and try and gauge what the medical schools are saying about how difficult it is to intercalate etc. For example, Birmingham says something along the lines of "if you attain a good standard across your exams you can intercalate" But how am I supposed to know if I could reach those good standards? etc.

Then pick a uni with a 6 year course with a built in intercalation year
Original post by GANFYD

Lol... Come on man thats not fair, it's not that simple... What intercalation included courses are out there anyway, Nottingham, Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Most of the London unis. I have ruled them all out except for Nottingham so far.
Original post by GANFYD

I guess what I am really asking, is will I screw myself over by going to a medical school where intercalation is a competitive process? Or is it something I shouldn't worry about.
So are BMedSci's not what you always get when you intercalate?
Thank you for the clarification.
Reply 16
Lol... Come on man thats not fair, it's not that simple... What intercalation included courses are out there anyway, Nottingham, Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Most of the London unis. I have ruled them all out except for Nottingham so far.

OK, well you didn't tell us you had decided against certain unis.
Why don't you narrow it down to where you should get an interview, then ran those in order of preference and then you have a shorted list to research intercalation on.
I think you are trying to predict too many unknown variables. Will you want to intercalate if you actually get to med school? If it is competitive, will you achieve the necessary results? You just cannot know the answer to this before you get there, but if you research the places you are looking to apply, you will be able to adjust choices depending on your findings
Ah okay! Thanks!
Sorry, but by specialty training applications do you mean post uni when you are applying for foundation year placements?
Original post by GANFYD
OK, well you didn't tell us you had decided against certain unis.
Why don't you narrow it down to where you should get an interview, then ran those in order of preference and then you have a shorted list to research intercalation on.
I think you are trying to predict too many unknown variables. Will you want to intercalate if you actually get to med school? If it is competitive, will you achieve the necessary results? You just cannot know the answer to this before you get there, but if you research the places you are looking to apply, you will be able to adjust choices depending on your findings

Hmm, I see, thank you. That does make sense, cut it down to the 4, then really dig each university to get the details. Thanks again.
oh okay. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending