Skinnersrat
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The subject I have chose are psychology,R.E and history. I was wondering if I could go to do medicine after doing a psychology degree. I haven't chose any science subjects and my science grades were not the best for my GCSE but is it possible to go on to medicine after a psychology degree? Thanks for your help!
Lostx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Of course!
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Skinnersrat)
The subject I have chose are psychology,R.E and history. I was wondering if I could go to do medicine after doing a psychology degree. I haven't chose any science subjects and my science grades were not the best for my GCSE but is it possible to go on to medicine after a psychology degree? Thanks for your help!
Yes, it is possible to do medicine after any degree. Most medical schools will still insist that you have appropriate science A-levels (at least Chemistry or Biology) before they will consider you.

Check the graduate entry requirements carefully on the individual med school web sites.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, but bear in mind it is more competitive to get into medicine via graduate entry medicine. So it may still be worthwhile retaking / taking science A-Levels and applying to med schools that don't value GCSEs highly (e.g. Cambridge).
Skinnersrat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lostx)
Of course!
So just to confirm the fact that I'm not doing science for any of my A levels or that my science GCSE grades are not the best won't affect me going into medicine.
Skinnersrat
Rep:
?
(Original post by 学生の父)
Yes, it is possible to do medicine after any degree. Most medical schools will still insist that you have appropriate science A-levels (at least Chemistry or Biology) before they will consider you.

Check the graduate entry requirements carefully on the individual med school web sites.
Thanks, when choosing my A levels I was more interested in clinical psychology but medicine has fascinated me.
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So just to confirm the fact that I'm not doing science for any of my A levels or that my science GCSE grades are not the best won't affect me going into medicine.
Where would you consider studying? Knowing that would help advise you on the exact requirements.
Skinnersrat
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes, but bear in mind it is more competitive to get into medicine via graduate entry medicine. So it may still be worthwhile retaking / taking science A-Levels and applying to med schools that don't value GCSEs highly (e.g. Cambridge).
I would retake it but i'm in my final year and I think it would just take a bit too long. Thanks for your reply.
Skinnersrat
Rep:
?
(Original post by 学生の父)
Where would you consider studying? Knowing that would help advise you on the exact requirements.
To be fair I would't mind travelling anywhere if it increases my chances on getting a place.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would retake it but i'm in my final year and I think it would just take a bit too long. Thanks for your reply.
Final year of your Psychology degree? If you're in Year 13 then it would still make sense to try and do Biology and Chemistry in a year and reapply after that.

It will be cheaper (because the course is shorter - 5 years vs 3 years + 4 years for GEM) and relatively easier to retake and then try for undergrad medicine.
Skinnersrat
Rep:
?
Final year of your Psychology degree? If you're in Year 13 then it would still make sense to try and do Biology and Chemistry in a year and reapply after that.

It will be cheaper (because the course is shorter - 5 years vs 3 years + 4 years for GEM) and relatively easier to retake and then try for undergrad medicine.
That is true but I still have a deep interest in psychology and I would like to do that as well, I do know its cheeper to do what you proposed. Thanks for helping me.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That is true but I still have a deep interest in psychology and I would like to do that as well, I do know its cheeper to do what you proposed. Thanks for helping me.
You can intercalate in your medical course and choose to do more in Psychology. I can understand your reasons though.
Skinnersrat
Rep:
?
You can intercalate in your medical course and choose to do more in Psychology. I can understand your reasons though.
Thanks for all the help. I just want to go back to the original question for a second.
Psychology degree: 3 years
Medicine : 5 years
Foundation: 2 years
Pyschiatry training : 6 years (foundation and futher training)
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for all the help. I just want to go back to the original question for a second.

Psychology degree: 3 years

Medicine : 5 years
4 years for GEM

Foundation: 2 years

Psychiatry training : 6 years (foundation and futher training)
3 years Core, 3 years Specialty Psychiatry Training.
Skinnersrat
Rep:
?
4 years for GEM

3 years Core, 3 years Specialty Psychiatry Training.
I know this is a different question but what would help me get into a GEM.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's fine, it's your thread - derail it how you like

As I said here and in another thread (GEM is popular tonight!) it is more competitive so you'll need to score higher (for UCAT) and prepare more (for GAMSAT). That's really the only thing that you can realistically do in the timescale. If you have an interview, as a mature student it wouldn't take a lot to set yourself apart from the undergrads (again no offence to Year 13s!) because of how most mature students come across (more calm and collected).
Skinnersrat
Rep:
?
Also I know a GEM is modified but could I just do the normal 5 years course as it is just another year as well as being less competitive?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also I know a GEM is modified but could I just do the normal 5 years course as it is just another year as well as being less competitive?
You can, but you may not be eligible for Student Loans - so will have to pay £9250 per year upfront without loans.

Some graduates do that to avoid the competition.
Skinnersrat
Rep:
?
You can, but you may not be eligible for Student Loans - so will have to pay £9250 per year upfront without loans.

Some graduates do that to avoid the competition.
You have been very helpful thanks!
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To be fair I would't mind travelling anywhere if it increases my chances on getting a place.
Ok, well the GEM programme at Swansea doesn't require Chem or Biol A-levels, but you must achieve a minimum overall GAMSAT score of 50, together with a minimum of 50 in Paper 3 (Reasoning in Biological and Physical Sciences) in order to be considered.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (72)
27.69%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.15%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.77%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.77%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.62%

Watched Threads