The Student Room Group

Not sure my chosen uni course is for me anymore

Hi, I am applying to uni this year to do biomedical sciences, however I no longer think this is what I really want to do. I would much prefer to do something like paramedical science. However, the issue is I have already written a personal statement and all of my previous work experience/volunteering is much more geared to do biomedical science. Therefore, I am wondering what my best options are in terms of applying for paramedical sciences another year? Should I complete a biomedical sciences degree, and then take a year out to get some relevant volunteering work before applying, or should I do it before then? Also what sort of volunteering/work experience would be best? Thanks in advance :smile:
I'm unsure if the uni's you're applying to allow this but, u could enrol doing biomedical science and then ask to switch to paramedical science
assuming they're similar
Original post by ellie101001
Hi, I am applying to uni this year to do biomedical sciences, however I no longer think this is what I really want to do. I would much prefer to do something like paramedical science. However, the issue is I have already written a personal statement and all of my previous work experience/volunteering is much more geared to do biomedical science. Therefore, I am wondering what my best options are in terms of applying for paramedical sciences another year? Should I complete a biomedical sciences degree, and then take a year out to get some relevant volunteering work before applying, or should I do it before then? Also what sort of volunteering/work experience would be best? Thanks in advance :smile:

Unis will want you to have gained some work experience in a medical or health related field, so if you don't currently have that (and can't organise any before January) you may need to take a year out. It doesn't have to be paid work experience, and if you can't get anything directly relevant to being a paramedic, voluntary work in a hospital or with the St Johns Ambulance charity would be the next best thing. Don't do a biomedical sciences degree first or you will run into problems with student finance as people only normally get funding for one degree course.

A good first start could be to contact the unis offering the degree course for advice about what they will be looking for in applicants.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/ambulance-service-team/roles-ambulance-service/paramedic/studying-paramedic-science
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Don't do the biomedical degree - find another way to do Paramedical, even if it means taking a year out to do work experience.

As someone who didn't think their degree through (started doing English Literature), I cannot stress enough that being enthused by your degree is so important.

I started doing English and I hated it - I transferred to a Science Foundation Year and am now doing a medicine-based course. I wish I had thought through my degree choice sooner and had the courage to make the change early on.

My point is, if your heart is in paramedical sciences, find a way to do it. Don't do something that your heart isn't in, because it's a three year degree, a whole lot of debt, and you spend your time thinking about how to get out of the situation you've put yourself in.

I'm sorry for speaking so heavily - but this is just my experience and what I wish someone told me when I was applying to uni.

Best wishes x
Original post by Matt1778
I'm unsure if the uni's you're applying to allow this but, u could enrol doing biomedical science and then ask to switch to paramedical science
assuming they're similar

I’ll look into it, thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by ells99
Don't do the biomedical degree - find another way to do Paramedical, even if it means taking a year out to do work experience.

As someone who didn't think their degree through (started doing English Literature), I cannot stress enough that being enthused by your degree is so important.

I started doing English and I hated it - I transferred to a Science Foundation Year and am now doing a medicine-based course. I wish I had thought through my degree choice sooner and had the courage to make the change early on.

My point is, if your heart is in paramedical sciences, find a way to do it. Don't do something that your heart isn't in, because it's a three year degree, a whole lot of debt, and you spend your time thinking about how to get out of the situation you've put yourself in.

I'm sorry for speaking so heavily - but this is just my experience and what I wish someone told me when I was applying to uni.

Best wishes x

Thanks, I really appreciate your reply. I think I’m going to explore the option of doing paramedical rather than just jumping straight to biomed x
Ahh I will take a look at the link, thanks! :smile:

Original post by harrysbar
Unis will want you to have gained some work experience in a medical or health related field, so if you don't currently have that (and can't organise any before January) you may need to take a year out. It doesn't have to be paid work experience, and if you can't get anything directly relevant to being a paramedic, voluntary work in a hospital or with the St Johns Ambulance charity would be the next best thing. Don't do a biomedical sciences degree first or you will run into problems with student finance as people only normally get funding for one degree course.

A good first start could be to contact the unis offering the degree course for advice about what they will be looking for in applicants.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/ambulance-service-team/roles-ambulance-service/paramedic/studying-paramedic-science
Reply 7
Original post by ellie101001
Thanks, I really appreciate your reply. I think I’m going to explore the option of doing paramedical rather than just jumping straight to biomed x

There may be a foundation year you can do? Other than that, if you have the right A-Levels to do Biomed, you probably have the right ones to do paramedical. You'll be able to salvage bits from your personal statement if you need to. You could hypothetically apply to paramed this year (although I don't know about other entry requirements). There's also no shame at all in taking a year out. It actually makes you way more mature, is a good way to earn some money/experience, and honestly gives you more time to figure out the best pathway for you.

Hope this helps! x

Quick Reply

Latest