katieantonia
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys, oxford applicant here. The deadline this year is 15 Oct, and honestly I still haven't decided on a college.

I'm thinking Jesus, Somerset or St Katherine's but that isn't exhaustive.

I am a state school student and would be looking for a college with a large state school uptake. I'm from Northern Ireland and am applying for Modern Languages. I don't care all that much about University Challenge prowess or bars - what is important is that my college is small, central and preferably old.

Any suggestions?
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by katieantonia)
Hey guys, oxford applicant here. The deadline this year is 15 Oct, and honestly I still haven't decided on a college.

I am a state school student and would be looking for a college with a large state school uptake. I'm from Northern Ireland and am applying for Modern Languages. I don't care all that much about University Challenge prowess or bars - what is important is that my college is small, central and preferably old.

Any suggestions?
Corpus Christie small and old. Good article on this in Telegraph this week. Hertford old small and central, high State School intake very left leaning. Bit rundown but cosy. Somerville not Somerset by the way. Also St Catz not Katherines.. Have a look at Tsr's alternative prospective for Oxford Colleges and also The Oxford University Alternative prospectus. Balliol might also fit the bill. Wadham slightly larger but very diverse central and built in 1601.
Ghostlady
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Old and large state school uptake is Mansfield College. they take a large percentage of state school, but would also pick somerville as a good choice. Did enjoy looking round there and had accommodation for all 4 years,
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by katieantonia)

Any suggestions?
Hola katieantonia,

Last cycle, the three colleges with the largest state school share of UK offers were Mansfield, Wadham and Brasenose. What will happen this time round depends on the pattern of applications but in general the numbers and success rates of state school candidates has risen across the board.

Of the three colleges you list, Jesus is small, central and old.

Good luck with your application whatever your final choice!

Brasenose Admissions
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just make sure your chosen college offers your subject. You can’t study German at Mansfield.

I agree with brasenose about Jesus
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (518)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.33%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.56%

Watched Threads