Abdiquani
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
This is a long post i apologize, so for those of you who bother to read this, i thank you.

THe situation is that ive just finished my Masters programme and ive begun job hunting, my CV looks so bland, no accomplishments apart from academic degrees, hardly any evidence to back up any of the skills i believe i have from a proffessional standpoint and even though i have many interests for instance travelling, learning languages i havent followed hem up (purely down to complex set of circumstances)

when i look at my peers it just seems they got this all nailed down to a tea, they've networked, built up their skills, cv, etc and got involved in societies, clubs at uni (i didnt, again dont judge, complex set of circumstances), so it kind of concerns and kind of fustrates me these issues i face to a certain extent, can anyone point me to areas of advice, tips, directions thaf would be useful, i would appreciate this ALOT? thank you.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Abdiquani)
This is a long post i apologize, so for those of you who bother to read this, i thank you.

THe situation is that ive just finished my Masters programme and ive begun job hunting, my CV looks so bland, no accomplishments apart from academic degrees, hardly any evidence to back up any of the skills i believe i have from a proffessional standpoint and even though i have many interests for instance travelling, learning languages i havent followed hem up (purely down to complex set of circumstances)

when i look at my peers it just seems they got this all nailed down to a tea, they've networked, built up their skills, cv, etc and got involved in societies, clubs at uni (i didnt, again dont judge, complex set of circumstances), so it kind of concerns and kind of fustrates me these issues i face to a certain extent, can anyone point me to areas of advice, tips, directions thaf would be useful, i would appreciate this ALOT? thank you.
It is important that when you are at university, you must not just focus on studies but have an eye on career planning at the same time. In most cases, a degree alone will not be enough - you need to show you have the practical skills to be able to perform well in a role.

Have you done anything during your time at university? Any projects, work placements, involvement with societies and clubs? You mention you are skilled at languages - have you thought about doing an official course which will give you a certification for it?

At this point, it might be worth looking to get some work experience or volunteering whilst you are looking for work. This can help develop your practical skills and will give you references for future applications. If there are any networking events or talks available in your area that are relevant to your career field, it may be worth seeing if you can attend. It will give you a greater awareness about topics or current issues in your field, and there may be chance to speak to other professionals, making good contacts.

You also still have links to your university careers centre, who can give you advice for CV writing, applications and interviews. If the university has any upcoming careers fairs, you could attend to get more information and speak to company reps directly.
Abdiquani
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
It is important that when you are at university, you must not just focus on studies but have an eye on career planning at the same time. In most cases, a degree alone will not be enough - you need to show you have the practical skills to be able to perform well in a role.

Have you done anything during your time at university? Any projects, work placements, involvement with societies and clubs? You mention you are skilled at languages - have you thought about doing an official course which will give you a certification for it?

At this point, it might be worth looking to get some work experience or volunteering whilst you are looking for work. This can help develop your practical skills and will give you references for future applications. If there are any networking events or talks available in your area that are relevant to your career field, it may be worth seeing if you can attend. It will give you a greater awareness about topics or current issues in your field, and there may be chance to speak to other professionals, making good contacts.

You also still have links to your university careers centre, who can give you advice for CV writing, applications and interviews. If the university has any upcoming careers fairs, you could attend to get more information and speak to company reps directly.
thank you for the advice, you gave me some pointers such as going to see my careers advisor at uni, i just wanted to clarify though, that i recently finished my masters programme, so i have not just started it, additionally, something i did want to slightly question was the networking events, does this help? because i do question the success of this
cheesecakelove
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Abdiquani)
thank you for the advice, you gave me some pointers such as going to see my careers advisor at uni, i just wanted to clarify though, that i recently finished my masters programme, so i have not just started it, additionally, something i did want to slightly question was the networking events, does this help? because i do question the success of this
With networking events, it doesn't guarantee you success by itself, but it can help make contacts that may be useful later on, especially if you can establish a good relationship with them. In turn, they can also offer advice if they have the time.

I understand you have finished your Masters. If you haven't done anything towards career planning during your undergraduate and Masters degree, it is important to start now. It is still possible to achieve the career you want, you just need to put in the effort and catch up. Look at other areas to develop your transferrable skills during your job hunt, e.g. taking an important active volunteer role in a fundraising event can show you can have good organisation skills, communication with your team and public, creativity and planning skills, etc.
Abdiquani
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
With networking events, it doesn't guarantee you success by itself, but it can help make contacts that may be useful later on, especially if you can establish a good relationship with them. In turn, they can also offer advice if they have the time.

I understand you have finished your Masters. If you haven't done anything towards career planning during your undergraduate and Masters degree, it is important to start now. It is still possible to achieve the career you want, you just need to put in the effort and catch up. Look at other areas to develop your transferrable skills during your job hunt, e.g. taking an important active volunteer role in a fundraising event can show you can have good organisation skills, communication with your team and public, creativity and planning skills, etc.
Thank you for the words of encouragement and the tips/advice.

Just going back to the point on networking, from your perspective it seems people are willing to be social and make friends with new people, is that a fair statement?
Abdiquani
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
tell us what career you want to pursue. then we can point you to some resources
so currently i want to work in charity/NGO sector or public services, i havent really specified or defined my ideal role, just these broad sectors
MrMusician95
Report 4 months ago
Start With internships. They usually are fine without people without experience. Or apply for graduate scheme, all they usually look for are a 2:1 in BSc/BA.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (407)
67.95%
No (192)
32.05%

Watched Threads