The Student Room Group

A levels for economics degree

I want to study economics in Uni, so I’m thinking Maths, further maths and history would be a good combination (the college doesn’t offer economics A level only business) but I want to do 4, so what should I do as a fourth? the subjects I’ve considered as possibilities are: English literature, combined English literature and language, physics, business studies, sociology, geography and psychology. Which out of those options do you think would be the best for economics? Or is there one I haven’t listed that you think would be good?

P.s - I know business studies would be the most relevant, but a lot of people on here have said it’s a soft A level and would hurt my uni application (not sure if it’s actually true or not but I’ll take your guys word for it). But if my college doesn’t offer economics will the UNI accept/be ok with me doing business studies?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Original post by Userstudent1864
I want to study economics in Uni, so I’m thinking Maths, further maths and history would be a good combination (the college doesn’t offer economics A level only business) but I want to do 4, so what should I do as a fourth? the subjects I’ve considered as possibilities are: English literature, combined English literature and language, physics, business studies, sociology, geography and psychology. Which out of those options do you think would be the best for economics? Or is there one I haven’t listed that you think would be good?

P.s - I know business studies would be the most relevant, but a lot of people on here have said it’s a soft A level and would hurt my uni application (not sure if it’s actually true or not but I’ll take your guys word for it). But if my college doesn’t offer economics will the UNI accept/be ok with me doing business studies?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1) Why do you want to do four? It is rarely necessary (unless it is because of further maths)
2) Can you not apply to another college that allows you to do Economics? Or are you in year 12?
3) Personally, I don't think it'd matter too much what you did for your fourth one as you would have met subject requirement with maths and further maths. Those are the only two subjects that are required for economics (and further maths isn't always a requirement). You should pick what you enjoy the most and are most likely to get the best grade in.
4) I don't think business studies is a terrible choice considering the fact that you are going to be doing maths and further maths. But you can email admissions tutors at unis for more info, regarding business studies and a level subjects in general.
5) You may want to ask your referee when applying to uni to mention briefly that the school doesn't offer economics
Why do 4. A Levels are really hard anyway, why make it harder and do 4 subjects? But to the point doing Economics won't matter, as they should teach you from the start, and the resources online are pretty good for economics. I wouldn't chose business cause it relates i would choose an easier subject or one that I really liked as my additional choice
I mean ideally try and self-study Economics, even as an AS. Then you would have 3 good subjects + an extra AS, shows alot of intuition and that you're serious about Econ.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending