Userstudent1864
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to study economics in Uni, so I’m thinking Maths, further maths and history would be a good combination (the college doesn’t offer economics A level only business) but I want to do 4, so what should I do as a fourth? the subjects I’ve considered as possibilities are: English literature, combined English literature and language, physics, business studies, sociology, geography and psychology. Which out of those options do you think would be the best for economics? Or is there one I haven’t listed that you think would be good?

P.s - I know business studies would be the most relevant, but a lot of people on here have said it’s a soft A level and would hurt my uni application (not sure if it’s actually true or not but I’ll take your guys word for it). But if my college doesn’t offer economics will the UNI accept/be ok with me doing business studies?

Thanks in advance for any help.
m2b
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As long as you have maths (+ FM for oxbridge and LSE) you’ll be safe. Geography, history or English lit would go nicely with those for an econ degree
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn’t go for business studies tbh. You don’t need business to study business management, it’s true that it’s “soft” and not as highly regarded. English, history or geography are all fantastic supporting subjects. All have coursework at a level, so I’d say pick the one you enjoy the most, as it’s enjoyment that leads to you wanting to work hard.

Best wishes, make sure to state in your application that your college doesn’t offer economics - I think this will be an important contextual factor to any university.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
make sure to state in your application that your college doesn’t offer economics - I think this will be an important contextual factor to any university.
Don't really have to as A level Economics is neither preferred nor required for a degree in Economics. Although many aspiring Economics students do take the A level, universities don't expect it. Ergo, OP can mention it but they don't have to.

Userstudent1864 Just stick with 3. Universities only ask for 3 and doing anything extra won't give you an advantage and it certainly won't make you stand out from others. Maths, FM and History are absolutely perfect for entry into any university in the UK. As far as subjects go, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree that unis will be fine with Maths, FM and History for an Economics degree - no need to do a 4th and better to concentrate on getting the best grades in those 3.

But if a 4th A level must be done, I would pick an easier one like Sociology - the fact that some people see it as soft is irrelevant in the context of your other three and the fact that all unis accept it, even LSE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (114)
19.42%
Labour (297)
50.6%
Liberal Democrats (76)
12.95%
Green Party (30)
5.11%
Brexit Party (7)
1.19%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.51%
SNP (13)
2.21%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.51%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.02%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)