Ldarboyo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi how long did it take for you to get your first finance job? I'd imagine you are quite good at interviews to pull that off with a 3rd. Also congratz on getting qualified.
Paloma42
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Zzzz1998)
Hi,I am thinking of changing jobs after completing all of my exams in 2 years. What happens to proving my 3 years experiwnce?
When you fill out the experience you put in an approver along with their email address which will provider the approver with instructions on how to access, review and approve your experience.

If you leave your job during exams I would suggest trying to stay in contact and on good terms with your old team / manager so that when you do finish you can ask them to approve

Also worth noting that the approver doesnt have to be a qualified accountant. I'm not 100% sure but as long as they were your manager or director level then they can approve but might be worth double checking that on the CIMA site.
Paloma42
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ldarboyo)
Hi how long did it take for you to get your first finance job? I'd imagine you are quite good at interviews to pull that off with a 3rd. Also congratz on getting qualified.
Thanks - I think somewhere around 9 months. I'm not sure that I am any good at interviews. I think i had near 10 interviews before i got a job. Its a numbers game - the more applications / interviews you have the more likely it is that one will end up in an offer.
Ldarboyo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Paloma42)
Thanks - I think somewhere around 9 months. I'm not sure that I am any good at interviews. I think i had near 10 interviews before i got a job. Its a numbers game - the more applications / interviews you have the more likely it is that one will end up in an offer.
Thanks for responding, did you work retail while you applied for finance roles?
Paloma42
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ldarboyo)
Thanks for responding, did you work retail while you applied for finance roles?
Yes - parents own a retail business so I was working 3-4 days a week whilst job hunting although the pay was minimal since it was a family run business.
RedTigerOolong
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I've accepted a grad scheme offer with involves CIMA. How did the CIMA exams compare to the modules you completed during your degree? I presume even if the CIMA difficulty was equal to them, working full time simultaneously still made it difficult nonetheless? If you had to give advice concerning the DO's and DONT'S, what would it be? It could be relating to CIMA studying, work/life balance, workplace advice or even life advice haha. Also, your story is inspirational and it's cool to see you make a thread helping other people out thanks for your time.
Paloma42
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RedTigerOolong)
I've accepted a grad scheme offer with involves CIMA. How did the CIMA exams compare to the modules you completed during your degree? I presume even if the CIMA difficulty was equal to them, working full time simultaneously still made it difficult nonetheless? If you had to give advice concerning the DO's and DONT'S, what would it be? It could be relating to CIMA studying, work/life balance, workplace advice or even life advice haha. Also, your story is inspirational and it's cool to see you make a thread helping other people out thanks for your time.
I found the approach to learning at university compared to professional education (Doing exams such as CIMA) completely different. At University the aim is to get 60-70+% as efficiently as possible without too much understanding of whats going on (Depending on how many accountancy modules you have) During professional education you need to actually understand the fundamentals of what is being taught since a lot of it is a gradual learning process. I don't know how well to explain it but you need to understand the basics and work your way through the exams E.g. if you try and build a house and the foundations are no good, the house isn't going to last very long. The exams operate in a tier structure. E.g. In the financial pillar there is F1 F2 F3, and if you don't understand F1 properly you will struggle with F2 F3.

It is quite a commitment to work full time and study for exams (Your social life will take a hit) It also depends on how generous your firm is with study leave. I think i mention my full study schedule per exam earlier in the thread so not going to list it all out again.

A lot of the Do's are going to be common sense but i think they are worth mentioning
DO:

• Go to all of your classes
  • Follow the recommended study plan (Completing a set number of chapters or sections each week)
  • Ask your tutor questions if you need help or don't understand
  • Try and set aside a few days (Ideally a week) before each exam date
  • If there is a Pass assurance scheme (BPP had one): Saying that if you complete the online sections by the dates on their study plan and sit the final exam within 3 weeks of the last course date, if you fail the exam you can attend the course again free of charge (I never failed an exam but it was nice to know and have that available if required)
Don't:
  • Let the work build up or leave it all until the last minute (This is never usually a good idea)
  • Try and learn every single thing (You can if you are a genius but not required to pass) For most of my exams I learned 90-95% of the content and skipped a few bits here and there where I thought things were too complicated or time consuming to learn. All of the exams are out of 60 questions and same number of marks each. If you don't know something the worst that can happen is you lose a mark or two.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (241)
33.75%
No (473)
66.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise