The Student Room Group

Security and Crime Science

I want do Security and Crime Science at UCL but there is no other Security and Crime Science degree at any other uni, so what options are similar to iy (preferably in London). I am finding it difficult to write a personal statement because it also has to relate to my other 4 uni options without going off topic.
I imagine UCL understand their course is fairly unique and that applicants will be applying to other universities as well. Presumably if you are interested in that area you'll be applying to some other courses which are somewhat related - there are many possibilities, ranging from e.g. law, criminology, sociology, social policy, cybersecurity and computer science to forensic science and chemistry/bioscience subjects.

Perhaps contact UCL and enquire about the matter and see what guidance they offer.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I imagine UCL understand their course is fairly unique and that applicants will be applying to other universities as well. Presumably if you are interested in that area you'll be applying to some other courses which are somewhat related - there are many possibilities, ranging from e.g. law, criminology, sociology, social policy, cybersecurity and computer science to forensic science and chemistry/bioscience subjects.

Perhaps contact UCL and enquire about the matter and see what guidance they offer.

Thank you. I don't want to do Law as a full 3 year course, I am going to do a conversion course instead so I need something that would help me for it. Chemistry and bioscience subjects also aren't an option because I did not do Chemistry A-Level and most/all degrees require it as a subject. Also, no Russell Groups (which is where I am hoping to go) do Criminology as a degree, which is a shame, so that doesn't leave me with much choice.
Original post by boutheynag
Thank you. I don't want to do Law as a full 3 year course, I am going to do a conversion course instead so I need something that would help me for it. Chemistry and bioscience subjects also aren't an option because I did not do Chemistry A-Level and most/all degrees require it as a subject. Also, no Russell Groups (which is where I am hoping to go) do Criminology as a degree, which is a shame, so that doesn't leave me with much choice.

As I recall LSE, Southampton, and Cambridge offer Criminology as a degree unto itself or as part of other degree courses. There are probably others as well.

Most STEM subjects, including chemistry and biosciences, are commonly available with a foundation year for applicants who took the "wrong" subjects in 6th form but are motivated for and committed to a scientific education and career. Some examples include Southampton, Durham, and Manchester.

If you want to become a solicitor or barrister, then while you can do the GDL (although it's no longer going to be necessary for the solicitor route soon) it's most straightforward to just do a law degree in the first place.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
As I recall LSE, Southampton, and Cambridge offer Criminology as a degree unto itself or as part of other degree courses. There are probably others as well.

Most STEM subjects, including chemistry and biosciences, are commonly available with a foundation year for applicants who took the "wrong" subjects in 6th form but are motivated for and committed to a scientific education and career. Some examples include Southampton, Durham, and Manchester.

If you want to become a solicitor or barrister, then while you can do the GDL (although it's no longer going to be necessary for the solicitor route soon) it's most straightforward to just do a law degree in the first place.

That's helpful, thank you. I want to stay in London so most of the unis mentioned aren't an option for me. Also, many Law students say they regret doing it as full 3 year course and the majority of lawyers that I have spoken to did a conversion course.
Reply 5
Original post by boutheynag
That's helpful, thank you. I want to stay in London so most of the unis mentioned aren't an option for me. Also, many Law students say they regret doing it as full 3 year course and the majority of lawyers that I have spoken to did a conversion course.

Also, criminology at LSE is suspended for some reason for 2020.

Quick Reply

Latest