Alicia_Jo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What is the actual standard of music conservatoires?

I am currently in my final year of A levels and have recently applied to Birmingham, RNCM, Leeds College of music and Royal welsh where I am awaiting auditions.
I took my grade 8 piano 2 years ago and since then have been working towards my DipABRSM which I am taking at the start of next month.
Music is something I really want to do and I haven't thought about applying to universities via UCAS as Im not sure if this is necessary.
I know most conservatoires only state that you have to be grade 8 standard to apply, although Im worried that I wont get into any since piano is such a competitive instrument.
violinem
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alicia_Jo)
What is the actual standard of music conservatoires?

I am currently in my final year of A levels and have recently applied to Birmingham, RNCM, Leeds College of music and Royal welsh where I am awaiting auditions.
I took my grade 8 piano 2 years ago and since then have been working towards my DipABRSM which I am taking at the start of next month.
Music is something I really want to do and I haven't thought about applying to universities via UCAS as Im not sure if this is necessary.
I know most conservatoires only state that you have to be grade 8 standard to apply, although Im worried that I wont get into any since piano is such a competitive instrument.
Hey,
I applied last year on violin and am reapplying this year... things went a bit wrong with my application/audition process and I hadn't taken my grade 8 at that point because I'd had to postpone it... I got a reserve offer from Trinity Laban though. Each conservatoire has a different entry standard and different things they're looking for. Most important thing is to show your love of performing and make sure you play repertoire that shows off everything you're good at and shows different styles- so don't just have a piece by Mozart and a piece by Haydn as they're fairly similar... you could have Mozart and Debussy though (for example) as they show different skills! (My teacher has had many pupils get into conservatoire but I decided too late and my pieces just weren't ready!)
I chose to just apply for conservatoires last year as I was pretty sure I'd need the extra year when I applied and I wanted another shot if I didn't get in. I'm doing Royal Welsh and Trinity Laban this year but will be applying to unis too this time because I don't want two gap years.It's your decision but it depends if you're happy to have a gap year!
The standard IS high, but as long as you show off your skills and passion that's all you can do!
Best of luck to you... I made a conservatoire applicants support/chat thread if you're interested in joining: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=85497260&highlight=conservatoire
Em x
Last edited by violinem; 1 year ago
welcometotherock
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The standard is high, minimum Grade 8 distinction level but with some kind of flair, something special.

They want to know that they can train you to professional concert standard in 4 years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (77)
29.06%
No (188)
70.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed