Court rejects bid to force PM to ask for Brexit delay

https://f7td5.app.goo.gl/wnzJ5B

Sent via @updayUK
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Np... you can't be forced not to drink and drive. You just get arrested and disqualified if you do!
Last edited by Vinny C; 2 weeks ago
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Important to note that this is not a block on the Benn Act, nor does it mean that Boris does not have to send the letter if Parliament has not approved an exit within the next fortnight. What it means is the courts have ruled that they can't use Nobile officium and intervene to send the letter if Johnson refuses to.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Court rejects bid to force PM to ask for Brexit delay

https://f7td5.app.goo.gl/wnzJ5B

Sent via @updayUK

Reading between the lines, the judge, Lord Pentland's, decision amounted to "this is above my pay grade".

“I approach matters on the basis that it would be destructive of one of the core principles of constitutional propriety and of the mutual trust that is the bedrock of the relationship between the court and the crown for the prime minister or the government to renege on what they have assured the court that the prime minister intends to do,”

So off to the Inner House it is.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Reading between the lines, the judge, Lord Pentland's, decision amounted to "this is above my pay grade".

“I approach matters on the basis that it would be destructive of one of the core principles of constitutional propriety and of the mutual trust that is the bedrock of the relationship between the court and the crown for the prime minister or the government to renege on what they have assured the court that the prime minister intends to do,”

So off to the Inner House it is.
Yes I think that's the case, have to wait to see what happens
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.55%
No (211)
76.45%

Watched Threads